Did you mean: 

Serious security flaw found in IE

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Serious security flaw found in IE

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7784908.stm
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
23 REPLIES 23
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: Serious security flaw found in IE

To be honest I don't think it really matters. No matter how many times M$ release patches for their software it will ALWAYS have undiscovered security flaws which will allow someone to attack your machine.
If you saw the recent article about browser password security you'll see that even google's chrome only passed 2 of the 23 tests - and they created chrome because they were fed up of other browsers! (well thats what I heard).
It doesn't matter what browser you use, they are ALL a risk. Any time you connect to the internet you are at risk. The only way to protect yourself is to simply not connect at all, remove floppy and CDrom drives, disable your USB ports (to prevent thumbdrive access) and padlock the case to stop anyone removing the HDD and fiddling with it.
Thats why I never bother installing patches. I install SP2 and thats it - I'm done!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I like they way the poo poo the idea of using an alternative browser suggesting it's swapping one flaw for many Crazy
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
StickyMick
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7784908.stm

Nothing new then Tongue
jnwright
Grafter

Microsoft have just announced here a  fix will be released tomorrow.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Seems it crippled all IE browsers and all Windows servers.
So - quite serious  Smiley

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

valart
Grafter

I am on my computer about 2 hours a day I just surf and down load music on my Ipod sometimes, so with this new virus scare reported today  do we just do nothing and hope it does not affect certain users or change to Firefox.
mal0z
Grafter

Well supposedly the fix is imminent.
But why stick with IE anyway - Firefox is at least as good, and many would say much better.
It doesn't seem to be affected by so many of these scares, and even when it has security issues a patch is issued very quickly and is installed automatically.
Njal
Grafter

Personally I use Firefox, but that isn't immune either. V3.0.5 has just been issued:
"Firefox 3.0.5 fixes three critical security flaws in the browser, while 2.0.0.19 stitches four critical vulns."
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12/17/mozilla_3_0_5_and_2_0_0_1_9_updates/
Regards,
Neil
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Just downloaded the patch - why does every Microsoft patch want me to reboot my computer.
Firefox just auto-updated to 3.0.5 with no fuss or bother
mal0z
Grafter

Oh yes - Firefox is not perfect, what software is - but at least it updates gracefully, and insist the PC is rebooted.
I always understood the reason IE does that is because it is more embedded into the operating system ?.
For the same reason - when IE crashes it often crashes windows and the who thing has to be rebooted, whereas when - rarely FF crashes - it doesn't take windows down with it. Yet another good reason to use it.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

There should really be a smiley for a rhetorical question  Grin
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: Oldjim
Just downloaded the patch - why does every Microsoft patch want me to reboot my computer.

Clearly the bugs in IE must lie in the kernel.
You can't just reload the application.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: valart
or change to Firefox.

Personally I wouldn't even do that. Firefox can be dodgy too. I use SeaMonkey. If you can get over the weird name it's a far superior browser. It's memory requirements are far lighter, there is no memory eating bug and it never slows down my system like FF used to.
Frankly I am chuffed to bits with SeaMonkey.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
mal0z
Grafter

SeaMonkey http://www.seamonkey-project.org/
"Under the hood, SeaMonkey uses much of the same Mozilla source code which powers such successful siblings as Firefox, Thunderbird, Camino, Sunbird and Miro. Legal backing is provided by the Mozilla Foundation. "
Today, the SeaMonkey project released a new version of its all-in-one internet suite. SeaMonkey 1.1.14 closes several security vulnerabilities and fixes several smaller problems found in previous versions. "