cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serif WebPlus SE problem

Not applicable

Serif WebPlus SE problem

Have just started using this software as it is the one in use for a web design course that I have joined.
The problem is that when I open up a saved copy of a serif file (.wpp)  I get the message 'There was a problem sending the command to the program' with that awful clunking sound.
The programme opens but not the saved version.  If I open a fresh instance of Serif Webplus and open up the saved page within that that then it works fine.
I have checked file association in control panel and this is OK.  I am using Windows 7 64-bit.  Have also tried uninstalling with Revo and reinstalling to no avail.
Has anyone come across this and if so, can it be resolved?
28 REPLIES 28
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Serif WebPlus SE problem

have a check in the settings for Microsoft Word as it might think it is a WordPerfect file
Not applicable

Thank you for trying to help Oldjim. Not exactly sure what you mean by 'settings'.
Here is a snip from Control Panel > Default Programs > Set Associations.
I don't have Word Perfect on the computer.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

When you install Microsoft Word there are a number of filters included one of which is to open WordPerfect files
Try removing that filter
Not applicable

I have just opened up a Word document and clicked Save As....    the nearest one is a .wps file which is Works 6.0 and 7.0 - nothing about Word Perfect.  the .wps file extension does not appear in the file Associations section as I uninstalled Works some time ago.
Not sure of this is what you are asking me to do? 
Mav
Fixes: 514

Hi Poppy
I have WebPlus10 and haven't come across that issue.
I was going to suggest you try the serif forums but I think you've already done that Wink
This page may offer a possible solution.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Not applicable

Yes, I cast my net wide when I want to find the answer to something, especially if it is an obscure or complex problem.  Judging by the poor response in that quarter I feel that this is something that I will have to live with - at least for the time being.
I can open a new instance of Serif and load the saved page from there so this is what I shall have to do.  Not a great hardship but I do get niggled by these problems and will probably still be looking for an answer several months down the line if it doesn't get sorted.  Oh well, never mind and thank you for trying to help.   
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Seems poppy and Oldjim are both correct -
http://www.fileinfo.com/extension/wpp
wpp extension can be WordPerfect files or Serif WebPlus Project files for WebPlusx4 (so presumable not used for other WebPlus versions)
Oldjim
Resting Legend

poppy
This is what I was talking about - this is from Add/Remove programs - advanced section - for Microsoft office
pierre_pierre
Grafter

what happen if you right click on the file and "Open With" does that work?
Not applicable

Well, there's something funny - if I right click and select 'open with' it is already associated with the right programme and does open it.  No clunk and message but the document (or web page) isn't there, just the programme itself.
Yes, the link does demonstrate the problem but not how to solve it.
With regards to Oldjim's instructions yes, I have found the right section i.e. Converters and Filters, also the reference to Word Perfect but not sure how to proceed.
Here are the snips:
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Just uninstall (deselect) those converters
It may not help but you never know
Not applicable

Thank you for help and advice.  I am a bit nervous about changing things just for the sake of this Serif problem so for now I am going to just open my saved stuff within the programme itself.
Have learned bit more anyhow - didn't know about these particular file associations and about the converters and filters.
grimme
Grafter

Not sure if it will relate to Win7, but in XP there was a section you could view to see the file associations
My Computer, Tools, Folder Options,File Types - this shows a list of current extensions and the programs used to open them ie : .DOC is associated with a Microsoft Word Document.
Denzil
Grafter

The Win7 equivalent is a lot less useful. You can't select by actual extension, you select by application and then choose which file types it uses by default. It wouldn't be too bad, except most of the installed applications on my PC at work don't appear on the list, which makes it kind of hard to set the defaults for them!