Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sending pdf form by Squirrelmail

colintivy
Rising Star

Sending pdf form by Squirrelmail

Hi Folks!
I have to submit a 17 page form by email using Squirrelmail (of course) and am not sure how to do this. The form will be saved in /home with all the other stuff but there is no clear advice on how to link up with an email as an attachment or whatever. Not met this before so I am feeling my way. I use Ubuntu/Firefox in case these are relevant.
Another hitch is that the form has an array of tick boxes in it. So far I have not found a suitable symbol to do this in a character map. I guess this is common knowledge somewhere but it has eluded me.
All help will be much appreciated.
colintivy  Undecided
5 REPLIES 5
Denzil
Grafter

Re: Sending pdf form by Squirrelmail

When logged in to Squirrelmail, you click Compose, and at the bottom of the pop-up window there should be an attachments bar. Click the Browse button, navigate to the file, click it and it should appear in the white box next to Attach. Job done (in theory :)).
Do you mean you are looking for a tick symbol? My Linux Mint box is at home, so I can't check if it is installed, but there are some nice ticks in the Wingdings2 symbol font.
colintivy
Rising Star

Hi Denzil,
Bravo! I will try that, noting the "theory" bit. OO.o Writer has just the idea with a pdf attachment option to email but that would have meant getting the form into that area which might have been difficult in that format. My recipient has advised that they would accept a "X" in lieu of a tick.
I have been cautious about this because of the difficulties in Copy/Paste between things in Ubuntu and Forums in PN and in Ubuntu where you try to go from one bit of display to another. There is a raft of "cures" in Ubuntu Forum involving Tomboy, Glipper  etc., all somewhat involved. I also have come unstuck trying to transfer data between our Forums as well. It is a pity that some Bright Spark has not typed an overall discussion on all this and stuck it in the Library or Tutorials it could be a useful reference.
colintivy  Smiley  Smiley
colintivy
Rising Star

Hi Denzil,
Your advice works perfectly, I was a bit puzzled in that the browsed file stayed outside the Attach box after pressing ADD, but when I sent it to myself it did appear as an attachment and downloaded properly. 10/10!
OO.o Writer Fonts do not include Wingdings (Win only) but intended recipient has accepted an X as an alternative. A tick appears so often in print etc., I am surprised that it is not easily available as a key combination.
Many thanks,
colintivy Smiley  Smiley  Smiley
Denzil
Grafter

Happy to help. I'm now on my Linux Mint box at home, and there is a tick in Dingbats (type a "3") or Webdings (a). Can't remember if they were installed with Mint or I installed them separately now, but they are available.
Can't say I have ever had any problems with copying and pasting. Do you know you can do a quick copy and paste in Linux by just highlighting the text, then click the middle mouse button where you want to paste it?
colintivy
Rising Star

That is interesting, I think Webdings is in the Writer  list but did not look likely at first glance. Never the less a suitable key combination would be more handy just to pop a tick here and there when needed. I that there was an option to do this in Word 98 (I left that long ago!) but not in Writer although there is limited scope. I do miss the option of using an ASCI code number for odd things in Character Map, have not understood the similar code given for symbols etc in the Writer Map.
My C & P problems only apply when trying to cross program boundaries like within Linux to a forum fot instance. Old Jim advised that JPGs can only be posted if you have the JPG in a website. I have not but more pressing things intervene.
Thanks for continuing interest.
colintivy  Smiley