cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Segregating emails between different laptops

jolyco

Segregating emails between different laptops

Two laptops wirelessly using same connection.  Two email addresses : either A (Default) or B (Alias)  @xxx.yyy.com.  At present if either A or B goes online all emails (sent to either A or B) are automatically downloaded.  What settings need to be changed so that only A's emails automatically go to A's laptop and B's similarly to B?   
15 REPLIES 15
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Segregating emails between different laptops

I'm not sure what you mean by 'alias'.  Are both accounts provided by Plusnet using your chosen domain e.g.  tom@me.plusnet.com and dick@me.plusnet.com or do the two accounts use different providers e.g. tom@me.plusnet.com and dick@btinternet.com.?
I think you mean the former, is that correct?  And is it Plusnet we are dealing with here (i.e. yyy=plusnet)? 
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Or would they be referring to two mailboxes on one account in which case each has a different password.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

If you have set up the second account as an alias on the first account that is probably the result.
Is there any reason why the second account shouldn't be set up as a separate email account.
In this case you would have laptop A set to download from A@username.plus.com and laptop B set to download from B@username.plus.com.
Replace A and B with the name of the accounts
Santiago
Grafter

On A's laptop delete B's email account
On B's laptop delete A's email account  
Or
on A's laptop set B's email account not to be included in send and receive
on B's laptop set A's email account not to be included in send and receive
Or
on A's laptop set up a rule to delete B's email when it arrives
on B's laptop set up a rule to delete A's email when it arrives

jolyco

I appreciate the promptness of the  replies - why is nobody at work(!).  It is a Plusnet account.  I'm using Firefox and have just spent some time wading thro' it's online help where I found nothing about setting rules.  I may be denser than I thought but my initial assumption was that I could only achieve what I want by using Firefox settings.  My reasoning was that I could not try to amend my "Mail Settings" in the Plusnet environment because "it" doesn't know which laptop is online and would therefore apply any changes to both laptops.  Is it being suggested that if I access from A and set up account A@username.plus.com and then access from B and set up account B@username.plus.com that this will achieve the objective? 
I also don't understand where - in Firefox - I carry out Oldjim's and Santiago's suggestions.
Santiago
Grafter

Start again
Are you using accessing email through Plusnets Squirrelmail webmail program (using your Firefox)?
jolyco

Sorry - my mistake.  I meant to say I'm using Thunderbird. (One of those days!)
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

My reference was to the method of setting up the email accounts here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?P%2FPB7Kv6WpkVhGwdBRTtsxGvNgoXUgKqC3f0fFmIgOsmrrsujjYNOs1jIhDFyttD
Edit - if the above link doesn't work go to https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=myemail&s=0 and click on Manage My Mail
With regard to downloading the emails by user on Thunderbird (I don't use it so the answer will be a bit general)
When you set up an email account such a A@username.plus.com and B@username.plus.com they shouldn't be done as aliases to another account such as the default but should be entirely new ones as a mailbox - this picture shows the difference (I have blanked out the actual email addresses.
Then to access only one account in Thunderbird the account should be username+A and the other username+B and you only have one of them on each laptop.
Santiago
Grafter

Assuming both email accounts work on both laptops and you only want one relevant email account per laptop.
In Thunderbird, on the menu bar at the top click Tools then Account Settings. This will open a window showing the email accounts. Highlight the account you don't want/need for the particular laptop and click the Remove Account button at the bottom. Repeat for the other laptop deleting the account you dont want/need for that one
jolyco

Thanks for both latest suggestions.  Will get on with my breadmaking(!) and investigate later.
Santiago
Grafter

Only a little butter on my slice please!  Roll_eyes
If you are going to investigate later, by then there maybe some other suggestions for you, so check back later
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

"3. What's an Alias?
An alias is an extra email address that's linked to another email address on your account. This means that mail sent to an alias address is redirected to the email address it's linked to."
So if your second email address really is an alias for the first email address, then all emails directed to either address will arrive together.
What, I think, you want is a second mailbox.  For more explanation try here https://portal.plus.net/support/email/email_explained.shtml .
Actually Oldjim has already said all this but I could not get the link he provided to work

jolyco

Midnight and only partial success.  Went into mail settings on Plusnet and removed alias.  Laptop A should now now only receive mail for A@xxx.plus.net.  Created new mailbox (B@xxx.plus.net).  On laptop B clicked Tools, Account Settings, Add Account then went thro' Plusnet instructions for setting up new account using Thunderbird.  The left hand pane of Account Settings Window now shows (in bold) Our Account (the original account), Local Folders and B's Account (the new account).  Set B's Account as the default.  Gritted teeth and removed Our Account.  Left hand pane now shows B's Account and Local Folders in bold.
Using reserve webmail account sent emails to A and B.  As expected A arrived correctly but nothing appeared on laptop B.  Noticed the opening window for Thunderbird is now different.  The left hand pane - as before - lists Local Folders but the large right hand pane no longer shows the Inbox Contents and small preview pane. Instead it has a heading of "Thunderbird Mail - Local Folders" with various options listed underneath.  After making some guesses discovered that if I click "File" one of the options is "Get New Messages For..."  and - lo and behold - one of the choices is "B's Account".  If I then click Inbox on the left hand pane the "Thunderbird Mail - Local Folders" pane is replaced by the normal Inbox Contents and my check message is there!!
So the original objective of segregating emails has been achieved  (thanks to all the suggestions I received) but why do I have to go thro' all this rigmarole on B?  How can I get Thunderbird to automatically open with the Inbox Contents displayed as before?
Bedtime.

pierre_pierre
Grafter

dont know if you have, but you should also have a postmaster mail box as all communications from PlusNet go to that address