cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeking recommendations of fibre modem that supports wireless bridging

gronda

Seeking recommendations of fibre modem that supports wireless bridging

Hi all,
I want to establish a wireless bridge between NAS drives upstairs and my PC network downstairs. I have a 2704n which doesn't seem to be good for much. Can anyone recommend a decent replacement fibre modem / router combo that includes 802.11ac and supports wireless bridging?
Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Seeking recommendations of fibre modem that supports wireless bridging

other than some business grade stuff that is capable of wifi bridge and wifi I don't don't know of any home routers that can do both at the same time currently on the market.
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Gronda - Not entirely sure why you need bridge support in the router?  Can't you use a bridging device such as something like this to connect another wired segment using your existing router?
The other option would be to use Powerline/Homeplug adapters?
[Edit]  I've just seen your other post here and see that you're using Powerline already.  It's confusing to all if you have more than one thread open essentially about the same subject btw...
You don't say in that thread, or here, what other hardware you're using to establish the bridge?  What are you plugging the NAS into?
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

It's not a recommendation, as I've no experience of it, but the TP-Link AC750 supports WDS bridging and 11ac. I expect most TP-Link devices will support WDS, as the W9980 I have has it (but not 11ac).
Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
gronda

Thanks, all. I've decided to revert to plan A - drill a hole in the ceiling and run a cable. Less pretty and less flexible, but faster, cheaper and (hopefully) more effective and reliable.
Quote from: pwatson

[Edit]  I've just seen your other post here and see that you're using Powerline already.  It's confusing to all if you have more than one thread open essentially about the same subject btw...

Given that despite numerous views, no one had replied to my other post, and that was a more specific thing about how to bend the 2704n to my will as opposed to what to replace it with, I felt that a separate topic was justified (and indeed it garnered the responses I needed to help me decide on a solution).