cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Security help

polmcg

Security help

This might sound like a strange request but....
My son has a small server for Minecraft which him and a few of his friends use, recently another server operator decided he wanted my son to close his server down or he would Ddos? it until it was unusable. My son rightly told him he wasn't taking the server down so the kid told him he would take down my home internet too, 5 minutes later our internet dropped to a speed that meant we couldn't use it, Exactly when this kid said it would.
Is there anything I can do to stop this happening, I understand I can't do much about my boys server but my home internet is really important to us.
Thanks for any advice.
4 REPLIES 4
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Security help

Get the police he can be done under the computer misuse Act
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I suggest contacting the CSC (0800 432 0200) if this continues. The additional DDOS traffic could be affecting Plusnet's network.
David
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

If you have a dynamic IP address, make a note of what it is http://whatismyipaddress.com/ and turn on you firewall logs and let them run for about a minute then stop, as if its a serious DDos there will be thousands of hits in just a minute.  Make sure you save those logs and then turn off your router and leave it for 10 minutes and power back up with a new IP address.
As suggested pass that info onto PN and the police.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
polmcg

Thanks for the advice. Things seem to have calmed down but if anything happens again I'll be contacting the police.