cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Security Software

Not applicable

Security Software

I have been installing the PN Thomson router on my friend's computer today and did a clean up of the machine whilst there. She has two children who are forever on Messenger and goodness knows what else. After cleaning up with CCleaner I scanned with AVG free and found loads (well over 100) of different sorts of tracking cookies. AVG is set to clear them automatically but clearly it hadn't. Windows Defender didn't pick up anything.
Installing Superantispyware got rid of many of them but even then there were odd ones left behind. I then installed Firefox which imported the remainder from IE and I deleted them from there. The computer (XP) is up to date with patches but i am thinking that they need better security so I am tempted to get Kaspersky as my bank is doing a good deal on this for 3 PCs so I could use this myself.
Please can anyone tell me if Kaspersky is OK and also if it is resource hungry?
12 REPLIES 12
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Security Software

You can only get cookies if you visit sites / adverts which are essentially malware.
Blocking these sites at the router - and most especially Microsoft chat will be most effective.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

paulh
Rising Star

Quote from: axisofevil
You can only get cookies if you visit sites / adverts which are essentially malware.

that's just patently untrue as written -- did you mean to say soemthing else ?
Not applicable

I just don't know where the children have picked up this stuff. Until today, their broadband was via the Voyager 105 so I am hoping that things will improve now they are using the Thomson. Also, I have asked them to use Firefox instead of IE7 and made the appropriate adjustments in the security box.
I made a list of all the names (there were dozens of them) but don't have it here.
It is obvious that their security needs beefing up and I noticed that Kaspersky protects Messenger. Both of them enjoy this and I wouldn't want to spoil things for them if we can do something about it.
I have set them up on limited accounts with the Administrator account password protected and I am sure that they are not visiting 'bad' websites as the computer is in the living room and they are monitored by mum. 
My only concern is that the computer could do with a bit more RAM and I have had experience in the past of ISSs slowing things down markedly. However, security is more important really.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

I've just started cleaning up my Nieces laptop and lot of the dodgy stuff she had on hers came from downloading screen savers and extra MSN icons.
It's been a pig to clean and I've now added the info from here http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm into the hosts file, it will stop some non harmful links working but tough.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: poppy
found loads (well over 100) of different sorts of tracking cookies.

So what, they're harmless and perfectly normal. Wink
All part of the anti-virus software scare tactics to flag them up.
And you can easily delete cookies anyway in most browsers, if they bother you. Or even refuse to accept them.
But they do perform a useful function in most cases.....
Not applicable

I am less sanguine about these items than you HP, although I defer to your greater experience and knowledge.
I googled several of these and there was nothing in the results to reassure me. As you can see by my post, they were not that easy to delete - they certainly were not cleared by CCleaner and from Internet Options.
With the steps that I have taken, hopefully things will improve. What interested me with the Kaspersky suite was the Messenger protection and this is why I have asked for advice about the software. Although I try to teach them, they don't pay too much attention to security so it needs to be failsafe.
Like adiewoo, I want these children to have a clean, well run computer and to that end I am trying to do my best for them.
samuria
Grafter

You asked about Kaspersky well in tests (Computer Shopper)it was one of the best but I found it one of the worst if you tell it to report everything it does just that. Ever couple of mins it was reporting something and it drove me and people I know who had it mad so we took it off.
I have no doubt its does a good job but its false positives will drive you mad and you just click ok because you are fed up wit hit so it defeats the object.
Remember cookies are just text file that tell a site when you last visited and maybe some other details so they can make your experience quicker and address you by name. Its rare for cookies to be a problem other than it shows web history. With kids it can be a help as you can  view the cookies and see were they have been and it could show up if they are using any dodgy sites so you can stop them
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I found it one of the worst if you tell it to report everything it does just that.

Well don't tell it to report everything. Grin
I use Kaspersky (now on version 2009) and it doesn't throw up false positives and it is very easy to limit the reports.
I have put it on machines with various grades of users from total beginner upwards and it is very unobtrusive with the correct settings.
The earlier versions could throw up a lot of reports up (they weren't false positives - just warnings of unusual activity) but even there if it was set to the beginner mode during install it threw up very few reports.
The latest version (2009) is much better in that regard as it has a database of trusted applications.
However it does nothing about cookies but there the best option is to use Firefox and set it to session cookies only.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Until today, their broadband was via the Voyager 105 so I am hoping that things will improve now they are using the Thomson.

Pretty sure it will improve. Using a USB modem (especially without a decent firewall) leaves you susceptible to all sorts of nonsense. A router will go a long way towards blocking a lot of this stuff.
It is obvious that their security needs beefing up and I noticed that Kaspersky protects Messenger.

Avast will do that too I believe and it's free. I use it on my XP machine, although I do disable 4 of the active scanning engines (including messenger) as it's only me that uses the PC and I like to think that I'm aware enough not to inherit any nasties during my day to day activities Wink

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Not applicable

Thank you all for advice which is much appreciated. Following oldjim's and samuria's comments I suspect that Kaspersky might be too much for the children and their mum to deal with and as I live a car ride away I will end up having a busy time until it is all settled. Also, not having used it myself, I would be at the bottom of the learning curve. I always prefer to get familiar with software before putting it on anyone else's computer.
I like the idea of Bob's re: Avast because I use this myself and think that it is really good.
I am also reassured about the comments regarding the new router.
Now that I have had advice I have decided to get rid of AVG, install Avast and recommend that they use FF (which I have already set not to accept 3rd party cookies and to delete them when the browser is closed). Hopefully this will be sufficient.
Best wishes for Christmas everyone - and thank you again.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Delete the short-cut to IE too.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Not applicable

Just an update - installed Avast and it found more nasties (about 5 or 6) - wrote the names down but haven't got it here. Deleted most and vaulted one but then I thought that what I should have done is turned off system restore before all this hassle. I think I was a bit overtaken by it as I never have this sort of problem personally. Anyway, I did turn off system restore, booted into safe mode and did thorough scans again with Avast and Superantispyware. Nothing was found so I did a full reboot, turned on system restore again and did another scan with both (alright, I am paranoid) and again, all OK. I know that if it isn't one of you will shout up. Also, thank you for the comment about the IE shortcut which I didn't know about.
I have instructed the children to only use Firefox.
Bob - I had completely overlooked the Messenger protection in Avast although I have it there on view all the time (must be my age) so thanks for reminding me about it. I am hoping all will be OK now although you never can tell with the little darlings!