cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Security Shield Virus

jen
Dabbler

Security Shield Virus

Not sure if this is the correct forum to post this !
On a HP Compaq desktop running XP,  Security Shield has installed, have tried all solutions i can find but not having much luck in removing it.
Security Shield programme blocks you from doing anything at all on the machine, blocks AVG from running and stops you connecting to the Internet. I've tried installing Spyware programmes in safe mode but just get errors.
My question is does anyone know if Mcafee will install and run in safe mode, don't want to add another £2.00 per month if it won't, it'll just be money wasted, I use a paid for version of Eset NOD32 on other machine but only have the one licence for it.
Any info would be appreciated. Thankyou.

10 REPLIES 10
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Security Shield Virus

Malwarebytes, if it lets you download & install in Safe Mode with Networking.  Wink
(will depend on how clever the fake AV is)
If that doesn't work you'll need to take the disk out and scan/clean it as a slave on another system.
Once cleaned, use MSE, it's free!
jen
Dabbler

Thanks HP, have already tried Malwarebytes, run in safe mode it says 'nothing found'    I installed that in safe mode from USB drive but SS wont let me on internet on infected machine to update it. I'm quite sure it would remove it if up to date.
Other spy/malware apps wont let me install in safe mode, even HijackThis  2.0.4 wont install in safe mode. Seems some apps wont, That's why i wanted to know if Mcaffe would before paying.

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Sounds like a bad one then.
Quote from: HPsauce
you'll need to take the disk out and scan/clean it as a slave on another system.
jen
Dabbler

Unfortunately I just have the one desktop so no way of doing that, just occasionaly used that's why it had free AVG on it  Cry
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

jen
Dabbler

Thanks Oldjim, have checked the page out and it looks as if that may work, seems it has for others.
I'll try it tomorrow evening and get back to say if successful, I've spent so many hours over the last few days trying different solutions that didn't work I just can't face it again tonight.
Appreciated  Smiley
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

In my opinion, McAfee is poor security software and particularly poor at combating threats like the one you face.  So even if it would install in Safe Mode, which I very much doubt, I'd be surprised if it could help you.
I find this sort of threat relatively easy to deal with but I get lots of practise.  I use "Autoruns" in Safe Mode to locate the threat and prevent it from running then restart in normal mode and let the security software clean it up.  To identify the "virus" look for things that

• Are in the wrong location e.g. somewhere in the Documents and Settings/Users folder - legitimate programs are hardly ever found there

• Have an randomised (meaningless) name

• Are not digitally signed

Oh, and if you choose Safe Mode with Networking you might be able to get online for those updates to your security software.  
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

I'd agree with all that ReedRichards. I'm not the most advanced of techies by a long chalk, but it was relatively easy to fix my machine, then later on a friend's, using Autoruns. A great little 1KB worth.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
jen
Dabbler

Just came back to report on progress and found two more posts, thankyou for the Autoruns tip, have downloaded    http://www.filehippo.com/download_autoruns/
Oldjim that vid was informative but unfortunately fixes on there didn't work for this machine BUT it gave me the idea to go looking for other similar vids.
Found this 
>

The info it gives on using taskmanager worked, I was then able to get online in safemode with networking SS had previously blocked any internet connection,  even in safemode with networking I couldn't connect
Was able to install spybot search and destroy, find and delete SS, Phew what a relief, panic over, scans all come up clean, thankyou  Smiley
This was a particularly nasty one to remove, so info was really appreciated !
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I'm glad you cleared that one up, Jen.  Now make sure you are running the very latest versions of Java, Flash Player and Adobe Reader to minimise the risk of re-infection.