Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secret Store

FIXED
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Secret Store

Just had an update notification for my Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa.

Its for updating "Secret Store" ...

Hmm... so... my Linux Mint has a secret store...

secret store.png

I wonder where it is.. .  Oh... yeah... it`s a secret, of course, so nobody can tell me, where it is ! ! !...

Even more intriguing, is the fact that this update has installed a girl in my secret store... I do hope my missus doesn`t find her before I do ...

SECRET STORE 2.png

14 REPLIES 14
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Secret Store

Fix
err that's gir1 not girl.

info here https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/Libsecret
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
shutter
Community Veteran

Shocked     Crazy     Smiley  

dvorak

so you meant to post this in chat then? Roll_eyes
Customer / Moderator
shutter
Community Veteran

No,....but you can move it if you want to ! ...  Smiley

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

See https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/Libsecret 

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

dvorak

nothing like reposting an unwanted link... see post 2 Roll_eyes
Customer / Moderator
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@shutter

"Secret Store", and "Girl"?

I'd better not ask what you've been browsing then 😛

Your cover up is it is a bug?

shutter
Community Veteran

@Alex wrote:

I'd better not ask what you've been browsing then 😛

That`s right.....  you had better not.  .Buck2   Cry

VileReynard
Hero

Mint 20.2 is only an update away...https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=4111 

shutter
Community Veteran

Yeah... I keep getting the nag screen! ... not really bothering with it... as there will only be "minor" updates, that change nothing for the "user experience" at my level !.

Cheesy

VileReynard
Hero

Not so! https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_uma_cinnamon_whatsnew.php 

Plus many changes to the file manager (nemo) such as some basic searching by file content.

shutter
Community Veteran

@VileReynard   OK... so I am running Mate... and thought ... "I`ll go along and have a looksee at what all the fuss is about..

1. updates showing an orange dot...... yup ....got that... and they are done as soon as I see it... sometimes more than once a day so the fact that the update manager can now "remember" how long the update has been out, and not done, is of no consequence to me.. not worth doing a whole o.s. update for that.

2. The update manager handles the automation of Flatpak updates....    Don`t think I`ve got any Flatpak stuff... so again. of no consequence and not worth doing the whole o.s. update for that.

3. Bulk FIle Renamer - aka  Bulky..... well, now.... don`t do that every day.. in fact only about once a month on some pics that I save... and I use Irfanview,  (already installed and in use for over 15 years or more!) .  so again. of no consequence and not worth doing the whole o.s. update for that.

4. Sticky notes..... don`t use them... never have done... not likely to....  so again. of no consequence and not worth doing the whole o.s. update for that.

5. Warpinator....  not used it... not the sort of thing that I am doing on a day to day basis... so not likely to use it...  so again. of no consequence and not worth doing the whole o.s. update for that.

6. Printing and scanning  -  update for HP printers/scanners....    got a Canon MG6500 printer/scanner.  no need for this.... so again. of no consequence and not worth doing the whole o.s. update for that.

7. Other improvements....  of no consequence and not worth doing the whole o.s. update for that.

8.Artwork.. - got a whole load of my own pics that I "could" use if I feel inclined.... so again. of no consequence and not worth doing the whole o.s. update for that.

9. Main components QUOTE  Linux Mint 20.2 features MATE 1.24, a Linux kernel 5.4 and an Ubuntu 20.04 package base. UNQUOTE.

So does my operating system  Linux Mint 20.1  ... so again. of no consequence and not worth doing the whole o.s. update for that.

SO... not really worth bothering with a full update of an operating system that is working just fine without these "so=called" improvements.

Thanks for reading ! ! !    Smiley

VileReynard
Hero

If you want to all avoid security holes, best practice is to be running current software.

I'm not keen on this Flatpak stuff as it has not necessarily been tested with your distro's (Mate) mix of software which is why I've uninstalled flatpak (and blocked its reinstallation). Similar comments (only more so) would apply to use of Ubuntu's 'snap' store.

shutter
Community Veteran

Surprisingly.. I have never been bothered by all this security hole stuff...  Used to have anti-virus on windows, but that was just because everybody did.... now on linux the consensus is you don`t need AV.. so i`ve not got any... keeps life simple and uncomplicated.. ( mind you , it was complicated getting to grips with Linux over the years.. but glad that I persevered! ! .