cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seagate External Hard Drives Returned Under Warranty

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Seagate External Hard Drives Returned Under Warranty

Has anyone in the UK on the forum had to return a Seagate External Hard Drive to Seagate because it has failed under warranty? Did it take long? The return address supplied by Seagate is to UPS in Derby. As I understand it, UPS is a parcel delivery service. Does it then go on from there to somewhere overseas before Seagate decide it has been returned to them? Seagate declare a 3-7 days return from the time they receive it, so what was the turnround time from you sending your hard drive to getting another one back?
There is a lot of flack on the Seagate User Forum about these hard drives being very unreliable - mine lasted 18 months, some people had failures in a lot less time than that. Mine was never too reliable in the 18 months I had it, mainly persuading the pc to see it. Now the pc may see it, but cannot read parts of it, and I get error messages about write delayed (or something like that) when I am only trying to see the contents of the drive. So much for using it as a backup store.
Thanks in advance
6 REPLIES 6
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Seagate External Hard Drives Returned Under Warranty

Since UPS is an international transport company, they ought to be able to pick up from your door and take it anywhere in the World.
Seagate had some recent disk problems - which they tried to cover up until the link:censored hit the fan.
They are basically very reliable (normally) - I thought they had some kind of software patch which allowed you to (sometimes) extract any data from the drive before sending it off.
adie:red avoid swear filter is against link:rules]

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Mav
Fixes: 515

I've returned 2 or 3 internal drives to seagate over the last couple of years. Normally have received the replacement in 7 to 10 calendar days. Never been any trouble once I have completed the online RMA.
Can't see that there would be any difference between returning/replacing an internal or external drive.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

chillypenguin
Grafter

UPS provide `logistics` services that go way beyond that of a simple carrier.
They probably run an exchange service for Seagate, where on receipt of your drive they confirm the model and warranty status, before shipping a replacement back.
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Thanks fellas. I've just posted the drive back to the UPS address. My problem is that of having someone available here to receive the drive when it comes back. Both my wife and I work so we are both out all day mwhich rules out returning the drive to my home. I cant receive the packages at work so that rules that place out. My wife works as the receptionist at a school where she deals with incoming post so she could receive it, but the school closes in 2 weeks for Easter. I am going to have to hope the drive arrives at the school no later than 3 April
Thanks to all
LordFox
Rising Star

Did you buy the drive as a business or consumer? If consumer, then although you can return it yourself (as you have) the shop is actually responsible for honouring the warranty. So you could have taken it back there, even if they try to tell you otherwise. Of course, if it was bought mail order, it's probably cheaper to send it to Seagate yourself.
I have the same issue with couriers; can't have things sent to my works and my wife is a teacher, and the school have a 'no personal post' rule. And our next-door neighbours are not to be trusted! I time things for school holidays when possible.
I have about 12 Seagate drives and have had to return two, both of which were faulty when I got them (from old gear in the course of my job). The other 10 were bought new and are still going fine. Seagate's turnaround is as stated. The only catch with them is if the HD came as part of a prebuilt PC. In that case the drives are often OEM serial numbered and Seagate won;t accept return from the end user. You have to go back to the place you bought it.
I've had more problems with Western Digital that I've bought myself, including a 500GB one that died a week ago.
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Replacement has arrived.
My thanks to all