Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Script Writer wanted, please.....

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Script Writer wanted, please.....

If you want a not to scale waveform image then you can use:-

ffmpeg -i input_file.mp4 -filter_complex "compand,showwavespic=s=640x240:split_channels=1" -frames:v 1 thumbnail.png

outputx7.png

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@MisterW wrote:

You didn't give it the correct filename. You just gave the location(directory) but didn't put the name of the file on the end.

I said.... Ah .. OK.. I`ll give that a go...    and I did.... spent a couple of hours pratting about... getting nowhere fast...

this script business is not going to work for me.... so I`m giving up... until I can afford the fortynine bucks for the program ! ! .

Cheers for all the helpful (?) suggestions and the scripts... it was "kinda" fun  ..... not ! ! !  Cheesy

VileReynard
Hero

Why don't you (just as a trial) use your file manager to copy the video file into your /home/user directory, then rename it to a short name such as x.mp4 then you can refer to it in the CLI as ~/x.mp4 - no quotes needed!

shutter
Community Veteran

@VileReynard   basically, because it`s too much "faffing" around, to achieve the result.... With ready made software. I could have completed the task on all the video files on my hard drive by now ! ! ! ..

Thanks for your input, though... perhaps someone will get the idea to make a "proper" program/application, that fulfills the original requirement.

Easy input and easy output, in the matter of a few clicks adding the files and then the result being automatically saved in separate folders/directories .

VileReynard
Hero

They have - but for audio files where getting the loudness right is important.

Sound quality / loudness seems to be relatively unimportant on video, at least for most people.

There's always the volume control...

shutter
Community Veteran

So.... when you watch the telly,... and you are engrossed in a program... suddenly the adverts come on.. and they (appear) to be twice as loud as the dialogue in the program you were pleasurably watching... you immediately dive for the remote control and turn the volume down... then when the program returns, you have to reset the volume to a "comfortable level" ...over and over again,  spoils the enjoyment..... Roll_eyes

Yeah.. I know.. pita.. ain`t it.... same with music videos....  spoils enjoyment... Roll_eyes

As mentioned, elsewhere in this thread..... they have indeed... its called  "MP4Gain"...  but .. as mentioned before;,... it costs $49.00

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@shutter wrote:

So.... when you watch the telly,... and you are engrossed in a program... suddenly the adverts come on.. and they (appear) to be twice as loud as the dialogue in the program you were pleasurably watching... you immediately dive for the remote control and turn the volume down... then when the program returns, you have to reset the volume to a "comfortable level" ...over and over again,  spoils the enjoyment..... Roll_eyes

Yeah.. I know.. pita.. ain`t it....

@shutter 

You may have a setting somewhere in the depths of your TVs menu to cater for levelling the difference in perceived 'loudness' between the program you were watching and the ads.

You don't necessarily have to lower the volume when the ads appear then adjust it higher when the program starts again ...

... why not just mute them?  Cheesy

from someone who never watches ads, or even waits for them to finish, due to recording most stuff that I want to watch.  Wink

shutter
Community Veteran

@RobPN  I was using that tv sound, as an "analogy"...  I don`t watch much tv... and usually ignore or do something else while the adverts are on...  like make tea... or go to the loo, etc !.

I DO watch a lot of music videos, as a "compilation" of "play list"... which is why I posed the questions about "sound levelling" in the first place !..

I don`t watch them on the telly, though... I do that on my laptop, with my phones on... so I don`t annoy the missus watching her cooking programs.. ( that was not avoiding the swear filter ! ! ! ! ) .. while she escapes to the country or homes under the hammer ... !

VileReynard
Hero

Have you tried VLC as a media player?

Especially the normalise option?

xx.png

shutter
Community Veteran

Thanks for all the input and suggestions, guys.... none of it worked for me... ! ..( what a surprise ! ! ! ! )  Undecided

Think I will have to set up a "GoFund Me" page....  Smiley