Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screenshot free programs.

FIXED
Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

Screenshot free programs.

Any recommendations for a safe, reliable and easy to use free screenshot program guys?

Downloaded one called Screeny which was recommended by a PC magazine and to be quite honest it's not sitting well with my Windows 10. It's either unresponsive or hangs up completely and I can only get it to work by restarting my computer - and even then it does not seem to behave itself!

Anyways, have now scrubbed it and am looking for another one.

Cheers. Thumbs_Up

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
13 REPLIES 13
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Screenshot free programs.

I use FastStone Image Viewer but I don't have Win 10

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

Fix

I use a few tools for screenshots. Windows 10 has a simple and built in tool called the snipping tool (i think). I generally hit the windows key and type 'snip' and then hit return and it comes up. Just drag your cursor over anything to take a screenshot.

For screen capping webpages from top to bottom (regardless for vertical scrolling) I use the built in Firefox screenshot tool.

Open the inspector in firefox (right click anywhere on a page and click 'inspect element'. In the inspector window click the cog at the top right corner. Look for the 'available toolbox buttons' category and make sure the 'Take a screenshot of the entire page' is checked. This will put a camera icon next to the cog. Whenever you click the camera, it will screenshot your entire page and save it as a download.

I tried Screeny once and hated it too which is when someone suggested to me to use the built in Firefox screenshot tool.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

I use Irfanview if I want to take screenshots. It's overkill if that's all you want because it is a great basic image  display and manipulation programme.

However its capture option allows you take screenshots many ways - see attached.

Its also free. Plays well with Windows 10. It's my graphic program of choice.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Another vote for the Windows 10 built in Snipping Tool Cheesy

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Minivanman
Legend

@jaread83

Ah right, so there is one already there, blimey, will check it out Thumbs_Up

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

And another one already present in Windows 10 - Windows Ink Workspace.

Minivanman
Legend

Crikey @jaread83 that's really easy to use!

Thanks for the info. Smiley 

Herman Melville
Minivanman
Legend

@Browni

That looks interesting and will check that out as well, cheers.

Crikey, the things we never knew and were there all the time!

Herman Melville
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

The Print Screen (Prnt Scrn) key on the keboard will make a copy of what is on the screen to the 'clipboard'.  You can then paste that into the image editing software of your choice ('Paint', if you don't have anything else better).  AFAIK this will work with any version of Windows. 

Minivanman
Legend

Would any of those allow text to be inserted? I'm guessing yes.

Herman Melville
Mav
Fixes: 515

I use windows' (7) built-in Snipping tool along with Paint which allows the addition of text. Works well for me.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

I use "Lightshot"  as a firefox addon... ( if looking for it.... don`t forget the upper case L  in the name... )

Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Although a few suggestions have been made I have changed the fix to @jaread83 as the OP's fix alluded to the in-built Windows function first mentioned in message #3.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still