cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screen Goes Blank

Mav
Fixes: 515

Screen Goes Blank

Not sure whether this could be hard or software fault failure and don't really know where to look for answers.
Every so often the screen goes completely blank. The monitor light is still on (blue). It could happen while i'm clicking, dragging or just when it's not being used. It's like a very slow flicker - does that make sense?
Have checked cables and screensave is set to 5 minutes yet this can happen every few seconds then not at all for a while.
IT often happens as I attempt to drag a window - but sometimes just moving the mouse.
W7 32 bit, ASUS M4N78, Sapphire Radeon 4850, AMD Phenom 940 3GHz, 4GB RAM. all about 5 months old.
Iilyama Prolite E2607WS monitor.
Just downloading latest Radeon drivers to see if that helps.
Ooops - Should have been posted in Computers and Network. Could someone please move it  Embarrassed

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

3 REPLIES 3
Mav

Re: Screen Goes Blank

I have just installed the latest Radeon drivers and now see that the background has gone totally black (used to be a M$ theme)
Previous updating of the drivers has never caused this to happen - yet to reboot!
Also, now the background is black I haven't noticed the the entire screen go black.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I was going to say, that sounds like the graphics drivers rebooting. Funnily enough I've noticed since reinstalling W7 x64 that playing Left 4 Dead leaves me with no wallpaper - just a black background. It comes back following a reboot though. As yet I haven't found a solution but will let you know if I come across anything - as you've said, maybe a driver update will do it but nVidia pulled their most recent release as the cooling fan doesn't work properly with them 😕
Mav

Since updating the drivers and rebooting all seems fine.
Perhaps the previous driver became corrupt?