Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scheduling Windows Update

shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

Scheduling Windows Update

Is it possible to schedule Windows Updates so that they DOWNLOAD at a time specified by me ?  idealy, I would like to download during the night when it is free rather than consuming my Gigabyte allowance during the day.  Is this possible - although maybe Plusnet would not like everyone to do that !
10 REPLIES 10
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Scheduling Windows Update

You can do what you like during the free period at night, dont know about the Win Updates, but a lot of people download other things on a time basis
matt_2k34
Grafter

pierre_pierre, the from the original post, shermans seems to already know what you wrote - theyre asking if its possible to set it to check at a specific time (thus download when free, not paid for usage!) -- which windows update doesnt do - it does install at specific time, but not download the updates at specific time

Sorry for the slow response shermans
I havent done this myself (but if i get chance, i will have a look into it) However it might be worth you taking a look at WuInstall which allows updates to be done over a commandline.
(and if you can do things in command line - you could make this into a .bat (batch) file and run it as a sheduled task)
t'is not as simple as it could be unfortunately... But worth a look
Basically, you can do three things with WuInstall:
•Searching for Updates: wuInstall /search
→ searches for all available updates, either (if configured) on the internal WSUS or in the internet on the Microsoft Update Server and gives a list of the updates found
•Downloading updates: wuInstall /download
→ does a search like in a), and downloads the updates found
•Installing updates: wuInstall /install
→ does a search first, then it downloads and finally installs the updates found

Cheers
Matt
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Is it possible to turn off Windows automatic update, (somewhere in the welcome screen possibly).... then when you want to down load the updates, you wait until after midnight and turn it on.... any updates would then be downloaded? 
(or maybe not.....  Undecided  )
pierre_pierre
Grafter

agreed, but I just answered the last question on the first post
'  Is this possible - although maybe Plusnet would not like everyone to do that ! '
I did add I dont know how to schedule
matt_2k34
Grafter

@pierre_pierre - Okay, fair enough
Would also be worth noting that the amount of spare bandwidth which is going unused during off peak must be pretty sizable, im sure PN would prefer you to download your windows updates, and stop someone torrenting for example, than download them peak time - and slow down genuine web users, or worse - business customers.
Is it possible to turn off Windows automatic update, (somewhere in the welcome screen possibly)....

Yes, although this method is a little sloppy.
what I would do is make two bat files, one which stops the windows update service, and one to start it again.
First job would be hit start > run (or type in the box if your on Windows vista/7) then type in "services.msc" - this would bring up the services window, scroll down to "Windows update" - right click and go to properties.
Change the start type from Automatic(Delayed) to Manual (this will allow other programs to call windows update if necessary, so shouldnt break anything!)
Then id make two Files,
Off.bat
net stop "Windows Update"

and
On.bat

net start "Windows Update"

(make them by just copying the text in the 'code' boxes, into notepad, and saving as "file.bat" (makes ur you take the file type off .txt to ALL files!)
Now-  put those two files somewhere safe, where you wont lose them ! (i have a scripts folder, in my documents)
Now go into scheduled tasks - (Task Scheduler) then add an entry for each of those files (run program at certain time - if you need any help with this just ask)
I'd set Off to run at 8am (start of peak time) this will mean that it disables the service, however im not sure how it would handle it if this is called as it is updating !!
then id set On to start at 12am,
This should mean that the service should only be on during those times, Make sure it is set it to download but let me chose to install in the windows update panel.

Hope that helps,
Anything else just ask
Matt
paulby
Grafter

Matt, should On.bat not read net start "Windows Update" ?
matt_2k34
Grafter

yep! it should
Sorry about that
*edited*
shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

Thanks for the answers.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I seem to be missing something here. Does the time selected for Windows Update to "Install New Updates Every Day At..." not determine the time that repairs are sought and downloaded? The default for that is 03:00.
As an aside. Has anyone come across an issue in Windows XP whereby after default time has been changed it goes back to the default by itself? I have seen it on more than one machine but have found no reports of this online.
matt_2k34
Grafter

yes alanf, ive noticed it, i put it down to a windows update, which didnt keep its settings Smiley
And yes, the "Download and install at [TIME]" makes the install run at this time, NOT the download, the download will be done at any time previous to the time set to install.
Smiley