cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scheduling Downloads?

sisko
Dabbler

Scheduling Downloads?

Please bear with me - I'm a newbie, female, almost blonde, an avid Ebay seller and tend to have the odd senior moment.  So - you can determine from that whether you want to proceed with this cry from the heart - or not  Huh   (Might as well be honest!)
Anyway, yesterday I had a message to say that I had exceeded my 20 Gb allowance - in my first  two weeks?  Cry     Apparently it was because I had downloaded a film which took about 70% of my allowance.  I had unlimited d/l with my previous ISP - Pipex - but migrated because half the day I had no connection, being constantly interrupted.  So - let's be honest, I forgot.
So, duly paid up for a further bit of allowance and hope it lasts the month.  For my downloads I use UseNet and NGB Matrix and my operating system is Windows XP.   The very helpful guy told me he thought I could schedule downloads through these sites as he uses them, but I can't see this anywhere.  He also mentioned Windows Task Scheduler but I can't find that on Windows Help either.  (He wasn't allowed to advise me on either of these methods but he told me he d/ls a movie every other night)
Now, on the odd occasion I am here after midnight, but otherwise any ideas on how I could schedule  the downloads?  OK - stop them, I know.  But obviously I don't want to do that.
Any useful advice would be greatly appreciated - thank you.

Moderators note by James_H : Changed title from all caps. : link:rules
3 REPLIES 3
James
Grafter

Re: SCHEDULING DOWNLOADS?

Hiya,
Me and Bob use Newsbin Pro, which does allow you to schedule Usenet downloads.  We reckon that Newsleecher allows you to do the same thing.
I don't believe that either are free though, but you get a lifetime license for a nominal fee.  I think it's something in the region of £10.
Must have been a big film!
sisko
Dabbler

Re: SCHEDULING DOWNLOADS?

Yes - it was 'The Bank Job' - very good! 
I currently pay around £7+  a month for the download privelege - and can now get speeds of almost 600 Kbs with them.  Before PlusNet I was getting around 250 Kbs which I thought was marvellous having got 25 Kbs from Pipex.  A one-off fee of £10 is no problem either and cheap at the price.
I will have a word with my son in London who keeps me right on all such matters! He likes me to use the same system as he does, so if anything goes wrong I can consult him.  He's like the Rock of Gibralter though - usually immovable!
I will have a look at these sites though - sometimes it's hard to change what you know - like coming to PlusNet which was totally traumatic prior to connection - then it all went like a dream and the Kalms I'd been taking were totally unnecessary.  At least you made the transfer pain free.
sisko
Dabbler

Re: Scheduling Downloads?

OK - I've had  look and it's all gobbledygook I'm afraid.
With NZB I can do a search for, say, a programme just shown on USTV and I know how to proceed to start the download. (OK - to begin with I was shown!!)
But with these two progs I'd be on my own and they look frightening.  Sad