Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Schedule Windows Update Download?

chickendippers
Grafter

Schedule Windows Update Download?

Hi there,
I was wondering if it's possible to schedule Windows Update to download at a certain time? I.e after midnight.
I currently have it set to "Automatically install new updates everyday at 00:00", but it would seem that it still downloads them when I turn my computer on, thus sucking up my download allowance.

Thanks in advance,
chickendippers.
7 REPLIES 7
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Schedule Windows Update Download?

Windows can do that as standard - just go into control panel / Automatic updates.
You can set day of week and time.
Obviously doing it between midnight and 8 am is best as it can use NP free data time.
I would presume that MS have servers in UK or at least in Europe - so I wonder what the Network guys would recommend as the quietest time to do it - I would hazard a guess as about 04:00 Huh
Not applicable

AIUI that schedule is only relating to when it will install the updates, rather than the time it will actually download them.
I believe if Automatic updates are turned on, it will always check for updates if it has a live web connection.
chickendippers
Grafter

I've delved into the help files and found this:
Updates are downloaded behind the scenes when you're online. They do not interfere with other downloads. If you disconnect from the Internet before an update is fully downloaded, the download process will continue the next time you're online.

That's a shame really.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

chickendippers
Grafter

I want updates downloaded and installed automatically to ensure the family computers are kept up to date whilst I'm away at uni. It would have been nice if it didn't have to take a chunk out of the usage allowance, but never mind.
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I'm thinking aloud here - and it may not work, but could the router be set up to only allow access to the MS update servers at certain times - ? ? ?
In my DG834 - you can block sites - either all the time or according to a schedule.
chickendippers
Grafter

My Belkin router can block certain ports within specified times. The question is; does Windows Update use a distinct port, or is it just port 80?