Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scanner and printer...time to upgrade?

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Scanner and printer...time to upgrade?

Presently I have Canoscan N670U and HP Deskjet 5150. The resolution of the scanner is 600 dpi x 1200 dpi. The printer is used for my light correspondence, and also for printing up digi photos to maximum A4 size. I sometimes put these in to the internal competition mights at the local camera club.
I suppose in the computer world my equipment is getting on and I wonder I would get better quality and or ease of use with new hardware, separates  or combined.
Views on suitable replacements that would give some improvement, and that would not break the bank would be appreciated. Smiley
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
14 REPLIES 14
artificer
Grafter

Re: Scanner and printer... tike to upgrade?

how much are you considering investing in new kit?  this has a bearing on what people will recommend.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and also what operating system, some reasonable printers are a bit shy on new drivers
Luzern
Hero

Let's keep to £100 max approx
XP Home SP3
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Scanner and printer...time to upgrade?

You can spend £100 on a new Scanner, so if you wan't to get the 2 for £100 your best bet is to look on eBay.
Luzern
Hero

Quote from: Midnight
....if you wan't to get the 2 for £100 your best bet is to look on eBay.

Wink Discussion closed then!
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Quote from: lucerne
Presently I have Canoscan N670U and HP Deskjet 5150. The resolution of the scanner is 600 dpi x 1200 dpi.

I use a Brother laser printer for most of my printing but I had a Canon scanner and a HP 7400 for photo printing. My small study at home was looking a bit cluttered so I have just binned the HP printer and Canon scanner and gone for an all-in-one Epson RX685. Quite quick to install and much easier to use.  HP printing software is a nightmare and lots of unnecessary software seems to be installed.  To uninstall all HP software I had to remove seperately about 8 different programs.
The Epson is available on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Epson-Stylus-Photo-RX-685/dp/B000V2WQ9A/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid...
Price goes up an down like a yo-yo. Wait until it goes back to the £99 I paid a couple of weeks ago.
chillypenguin
Grafter

October's PC Pro has a review of all in one devices. Most of which where under £100 their "Labs Winner" Canon Pixma MP610 is £108 inc VAT
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Have a look in Wilkinsons  (wilko) they have an HP all in one for £30, so you could buy a couple of spares, just in case the first one breaks down! Grin  But I don`t think HP make them that way, cos I still got a Deskjet 840c printer that is over 10 years old and still produces excellent photoprints  Wink
community
Grafter

Quote from: shutter
I still got a Deskjet 840c printer that is over 10 years old and still produces excellent photoprints  Wink

Yes I have to agree about HP Printers, I have a Deskjet 690C which has been worked quite a lot since I bought it several years ago.
The only gripe I had was the cost of the cartridges!
That's the main reason why I have been using a Canon i350 for a while( I get Phoenix print cartridges for it for a third of the price of the HP ones) and the HP is now surplus to my requirements and stands quite alone in the corner waiting for a new owner  Smiley
cheers
Luzern
Hero

I read something disturbing, namely that HP cartridges (some/all?) have a built in expiry date after which they will not work.
B* bad if there is usable ink still in it. Do other makers get up to such tricks?
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

I think so!..... I think Epson started it off, but there are kits on the market that can "unlock" the chip.... although I hear that the latest  Epsons can`t be done.....yet....
You could always go on the net and see if the one you are interested in is "chipped" to an expiry date.... just google it !. Cheesy
Not applicable

Quote from: chillypenguin
October's PC Pro has a review of all in one devices. Most of which where under £100 their "Labs Winner" Canon Pixma MP610 is £108 inc VAT

I can recommend this model too from personal experience.
Good quality, fast and quiet.
All round good performer for copying scanning and printing.
colintivy
Rising Star

Quote from: community
Quote from: shutter
I still got a Deskjet 840c printer that is over 10 years old and still produces excellent photoprints  Wink

Yes I have to agree about HP Printers, I have a Deskjet 690C which has been worked quite a lot since I bought it several years ago.
The only gripe I had was the cost of the cartridges!
That's the main reason why I have been using a Canon i350 for a while( I get Phoenix print cartridges for it for a third of the price of the HP ones) and the HP is now surplus to my requirements and stands quite alone in the corner waiting for a new owner  Smiley
cheers

Hi Folks
I have very elderly HP 690C and 845C both doing fine even under ubuntu/Gutenprint. Yes the carts do cost a lot but I have not any that have been time expired, they just empty! Even clones seem to be just as good and a bit cheaper. No experience of multi-purpose units but they do seem extrordinarily cheap. Still looking for a driver package for my Canon 9900F scanner to work with Hardy! 😕
Midville
Grafter

I have got a Canon Pixma 600 and very happy with it  Smiley