Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scanner Canon 9900F driver for Ubuntu

colintivy
Rising Star

Scanner Canon 9900F driver for Ubuntu

Hi folks1
I have not ventured into this area before but have failed to get any advice from Ubuntu fora so far. I am a recent fugitive from MS into Hardy and am grappling with the provision of drivers for peripherals that are not currently recognised by the OS. My Canon i905D printer runs nicely with Turboprint2 but I cannot find anything for its companion scanner. Any clues out there ?
Thanks in advance.
colintivy  Embarrassed
9 REPLIES 9
artificer
Grafter

Re: Scanner Canon 9900F driver for Ubuntu

all i know is that you can use xsane and kooka for scanners.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Xsane works for me on a HP Scanjet rescued from a skip (it's fairly modern as it has a USB connection).  Smiley

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

colintivy
Rising Star

@articifer.
My UMAX Astra is detected by Xsane but the interface is overcomplicated. Iwish i could find a GUI more like the oruginal Windows one which suits my taste.
@axisofevil,
Xsane has an enormous list which probably incudes HP but not my Canon 9900F. CUPS list Canon but falls short before it gets to mine. I still await any advice from my betters! But thanks anyway.
colintivy :[
VileReynard
Hero

Since you appear to have a working scanner, do you need the scanner in your printer?
It might be slow, but I find that Scanner -> jpeg file -> cheap printer gives almost as good
quality as standard photocopying.
Canon are renowned for their poor Linux support.

colintivy
Rising Star

@axisofevil,
That sounds a good idea, I will give it a try. The Canon printer, which works well with Turboprint2, does not have a built-in scanner. I was amiss when I mentioned that in my post. The UMAX works after a fashion with Xsane but the original Windows GUI was very easy to use. The Canon 9900F is a freestanding, rather superior, scanner with transparency facilities. It also works well with its Windows GUI but it would be good to be able to use it again. What I really need is the scanner equivalent of the Turboprint2 if there is one out there!
colintivy :;
VileReynard
Hero

Since I've never had a scanner until I got Linux, I find the GUI with Ubuntu to be excellent and quite intuitive.
When it starts, I choose the kind of file name I'd like, whether I'm scanning full-colour or "line-art" (printed documents etc)
I also select an option to say what kind of resolution is wanted.
All of these are normally picked up from the previous run.
In the preview window, I click preview  Smiley
I make slight adjustments to the bounding box (or major adjustments if it's really bad).
I then click on the scan option.
I normally take the despeckle option (with the default value), then save as a jpeg.
Seems simple.

colintivy
Rising Star

Hi Jeremy,
Thanks for encouragement. I have only tried once to use the Xsane offering and being familiar with the original Win GUI that came with the UMAX  system, was rather misled by the array of general purpose controls etc., that were available, but it did work. I assume that the GUI you used was that provided by Xsane and not another that I have yet to discover. I found that when I used a colour test print, beloved by HP, as the original to be copied, the scanner did not give a clear white (somewhat muddy) and even penetrated the paper to show ghostly print that was present on the reverse of the gash paper I was using. I must try again to find the necessary controls.
colintivy :;
VileReynard
Hero

Well, it's the standard xsane package on Ubuntu.
Perhaps there is a colour temperature mismatch between the printer/scanner - which has internal compensation?
In theory, if you scanned a Dulux paint chart, the scanned image (on the display) and the printed image would be identical  Grin
I think that each time you scan a printout you can only add muddiness to the image - try starting with a quality image - ideally
with an "average" mix of colours and some "whiter than white" in it. Perhaps a quality magazine image?
You certainly shouldn't have any problems with "grayscale, line-art" options on supposedly black/white images - which is what I mostly use my scanner for.
If you have definite colour cast, you could use Gimp to analyse (and correct) any such problem.
This is sledge-hammer / nut territory though!
I would recommend The Gimp though (for your photo's) - it does a lot of what Photoshop does. The learning curve can be steep though.
Stick to black/white (e.g. official letters) for the time being.

colintivy
Rising Star

Hi Jeremy,
Your last post (as well as earlier) very helpful and reassuring. I am still climbing the learning curve but achieving such progress as time permits. Who ever said that being retired was easy??? Will report back when I have something to say!  Thanks a lot.

colintivy Smiley