Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scanner Cable Query

Captainkirk
Grafter

Scanner Cable Query

Hi All,
Have just purchased a new Canon Scanner (4400F) which has a usb hi-speed cable included but is too short to reach my computer.  The cable has two cylindrical barrels about 1" long at either end near to the connectors - can anyone tell me what these are please.  Have been looking for a new cable but cannot seem to find any cables which have these on - as I don't have a clue what they are I 'm a little wary of buying a new cable which doesn't have them.
Thanks, Tracey.
9 REPLIES 9
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Scanner Cable Query

they are RF filters, i.e. a ferrite slug around the cable to trap unwanted frequencies, some only have one, some have none, wont do any harm to try a cable without one - Caw its a rum old dew  Crazy
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

I suspect one end of the cable has the standard USB connector on it?  If so, then it is possible to buy a USB extension cable with a standard USB on one end, and a USB socket on the other...... Provided you are not going to run the cable too close to existing telephone equipment, there should be no problem... The RF filters mentioned by Pierre, are to prevent (possible) interference to nearby equipment.
Captainkirk
Grafter

Thank you kindly Pierre and Shutter - the cable will be running close to the phone so I'll make sure and get one with the filter on.
Tracey
shutter
Community Veteran

If you can`t get one with the filters, go to the nearest Maplin shop, and ask for advice on fitting "ferrite rings" or  "ferrite clamps"..... it is real easy..... the rings you just pass the cable through two or three times, and the clamps, literally you buy the right size, and clamp them together round the cable, then to make it pretty use some insulating tape to hold in place.... not expensive, and Maplins possibly have the USB extension cable too.! !
pierre_pierre
Grafter

It alright im saying go to your nearest Maplin shop, they are 46-48 St Andrews Street  and Beehive centre Cambridge or 29/31 Carr Street Ipswich
shutter
Community Veteran

Or buy on line !  Cheesy
Captainkirk
Grafter

Thanks Pierre, yes the closest Maplin is at the Beehive for us. 
I'm now looking on line Shutter - do you think the shielded cables by Belkin would do the same job - have seen these on the Belkin site -

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=266664
Tracey
pierre_pierre
Grafter

out of interest.  Maplin want about £9 and PC World £20 for the Cable, the ferrite rings are only mail order from Maplins (apparently, they only have 20 in stop nationwide?)
Santiago
Grafter

Just get one of these 2 metre USB cable extensions from Scan for £0.69. Use the cable you got with the scanner and connect to your PC with the extension. If you need to go longer get two.