cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scammers and the things they try.

alienonline

Scammers and the things they try.

Cheeky sods.  Just had a guy from tech support (supposedly) phone me and tell me that the main internet server was showing that i had junk files and bad wireless and if i gave him remote access to my computer he would show me on the screen what the problem was.  Given that he did not know who my broadband provider was or any other details of my account i kept pointing out to him the mistakes he was making until he hung up.  That was when i asked him to tell me my IP address.
Be careful, its a know scam to gain access to your computer.
7 REPLIES 7
beeceegee
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Scammers and the things they try.

I get at least one of those a week - "good morning, my name is James from the Windows Technical Department of your computer", in a heavy Indian accent  Grin I have to confess I'm not sure I had actually hung up when I unleashed the F word  Roll_eyes this morning.
Anonymous
Not applicable

"Farewell"  ?    Cheesy
Anonymous
Not applicable

I used to keep a Whistle by the phone, until I realised they already had my number, and could ring me again at any time during the Night !!
TecwynWiz64

Had phone call yesterday from foreign man, asking if my computer was Windows/Microsoft, stating that it was probably going slow and had input filling my hard drive.  It is working as fast as usual and I have not noticed any problems.  Thought this was not legitimate so said I would contact my provider and put down the phone.  Presuming this is a scam to gain access to my computer.

maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

I had an almost convincing email recently, apparently from HMRC, about an income tax rebate. Specifically mentioned that the error that led to the rebate was widespread and that due to the number of similar occurrences the HMRC telephone helpline would be unable to answer any queries about it. So I phoned them to find out who deals with phishing scams (forward to phishing@hmrc.gsi.gov.uk).
My other car isn't a Ferrari
picbits
Rising Star

I've got a virgin install of XP Pro on a virtual machine on my server just waiting for one of these calls.
I'll have great fun wasting his time, see what he installs then have fun from there ........
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I have an old and very slow laptop with Vista installed, when I got a call from 'Windows Technical Support' I said my PC was not switched on but I'd switch it on for them, they gave up and hung up (and haven't bothered me since) well before the 7 or 8 minutes it takes to boot to a desktop elapsed.  If they call again I'll just fire the old laptpop up again, if they're patient enough I'll just 'have problems connecting to the internet'.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.