Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sata dvd drive

paulgul
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Sata dvd drive

I've just ordered a new dvd drive with a sata interface but it has occured to me that my setup requires me to install sata drivers after re-installing the operating system (Win XP). The actual O.S is on a PATA drive so I can get windows up and running with no problem. Does the dvd drive require these drivers, if so how can they be installed - a sort of chicken and egg situation - I don't have a 3.5" drive.
In fact can you boot from a sata dvd drive?
Paul
8 REPLIES 8
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Sata dvd drive

If your motherboard has SATA ports then Windows should have installed the drivers for it already, regardless of whether or not there are any drives attached. I very much doubt you'll need to reinstall windows in order to plug the drive in. Bear in mind the SATA controller is part of the motherboard itself so it will be detected when drivers are installed.
I'd be gobsmacked if you weren't able to boot from the DVD drive.
Hope that clears things up.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

As I recall XP doesn't include the necessary drivers so you will need to download the drivers from the internet unless your PATA DVD drive is still working then you may be able to extract them from the install CD or even install them in advance.
Of course the easiest way if your existing DVD drive still works is to have both drives operational temporarily.
Just to add - if you need to boot from the CD then you may need to slipstream the drivers.
A word of advice.
If your motherboard only has one set of SATA ports then you may have major problems running a DVD drive as well as a hard drive from them if you have enabled AHCI in the bios.
paulgul
Rising Star

The motherboard I have is an MSI K8T Neo (rather old) and has 2 seperate sata controllers,  VT8237 (2 connectors) and Promise 20378 (also 2 connectors), both require seperate drivers supplied on a dvd. I know from experience that both these drivers have to be installed for XP to see the sata hard drives. I will just have to see what happens trying to boot from the dvd drive - or exchange it for a IDE model
Paul
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

In fact can you boot from a sata dvd drive?

Definitely, I've got a SATA DVD drive on my ASUS M2N-MX based system and it boots from that just fine!
Cant help re XP Sata drivers though as my system is running Ubuntu, it just detected the drive and worked!!!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Oldjim
Resting Legend

Quote from: paulgul
The motherboard I have is an MSI K8T Neo (rather old) and has 2 seperate sata controllers,  VT8237 (2 connectors) and Promise 20378 (also 2 connectors), both require seperate drivers supplied on a dvd. I know from experience that both these drivers have to be installed for XP to see the sata hard drives. I will just have to see what happens trying to boot from the dvd drive - or exchange it for a IDE model
Paul
Have you tried slipstreaming the drivers onto the XP CD
paulgul
Rising Star

No. I've never come across the term before, just been looking it up on google but  most of the references seem to be slipstreaming service packs.
I'll keep looking and see what I can find about drivers
Oldjim
Resting Legend

paulgul
Rising Star

As an update to this, I've just installed a new motherboard (MSI P43 neo) and it recognises sata drives within the bios, so additional drivers aren't required. So that means there's no problem booting from a sata drive (dvd or hard disk)
Paul