cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Series 8 TV

Devonian
Grafter

Re: Samsung Series 8 TV

If these are the type, then there is a tiny rubber flap underneath covering a mini usb connection point.
http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/tv-accessories/SSG-3570CR/XC?subsubtype...
WTF
Grafter

They look a bit more expensive than the ones that come with my TV  Smiley
Actually, after reading your post I did a bit of a google and discovered that Samsung do re-chargeable and non-rechargeable glasses.  Seems that the F7000 comes with the non-rechargeable type that take a watch battery - which I remember fitting.
Ah well .. I guess if we ever get around to trying out the 3D and find we like it, we can always buy some re-chargeable glasses.  I seem to recall seeing a price of around £30 while I was google-ing.
Devonian
Grafter

I oot 3 extra pairs from Amazon at £26 delivered each.
2 pairs aren't enough for the average home, that's a bit tight if you ask me, when you consider the price we paid for the tv's.
I was watching Top Gear on Sunday, and thought I would give the 2D to 3D upscale button a try.. wow it made such a difference I have to say!
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Was it an improvement?
There is insufficient information in a 2D picture to extract any 3D information.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Devonian
Grafter

The picture is digitally enhanced, so it's not true 3D, and there is a massive difference between digitally enhanced, and true 3D, but even so the difference was remarkable.
It wasn't 'jump out the tv' different, but it was stand out different.
WTF
Grafter

Quote from: Devonian
2 pairs aren't enough for the average home, that's a bit tight if you ask me, when you consider the price we paid for the tv's

My thoughts precisely.  Obviously, you paid a lot more than me as you got the top-of-line TV, but even so ..
Devonian
Grafter

Actually I got mine from Samsung as a factory second.. the top of the TV frame has a small scratch.. that I buffed out I might add..
Full 3 year guarantee, and a grand off the asking price...  Still £1995.99 though.  Angry
WTF
Grafter

Blimey!  Even with the grand off that's still almost double what we paid for the next model down in the range  Shocked
Our TVs pretty amazing - your's must be absolutely awesome!
VileReynard
Hero

I went into John Lewis yesterday.
They had a giant television - about £7,000 Grin
It had a curved screen - yuck.
It played two programmes simultaneously  Undecided
The viewers were supposed to watch it through glasses with
special plugs jammed into their ears.
I think sales might be poor.

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

@VFD sounds like the 4K set's
theres a new competition in screen standard coming, will we go for lasers projected through prisms for a full 3d image or will it be curved screens with organic led's at the core .......to be honest there both about thee same price currently although the laser/prism setup will be a lot cheaper in mass market conditions (less components) they have comparable results however the laser version you don't need glasses to see the image as it was recorded...
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
WTF
Grafter

I saw that TV when we went to get ours.  The missus liked it.  In fact, she practically had to be dragged away from it.
Re 4K TVs, there was a very interesting article on el Reg a last year that convinced me it's a bit pants.  Essentially, it propogates a cludge that was introduced with talkies in the 1920s to save film stock and that cludge means that, while 4K is doubtless excellent for perfectly still images, it's pretty dire if anything moves .. which is kind of an issue for a TV.
That cludge is in current SD and HD however the affects become pronounced as the definition increases.  I'm not going to try to explain it - read the article: it's fascinating stuff.
VileReynard
Hero

I've just bought a compact camera - a still picture requires 20M pixels!
You can get better pictures in a few 100Kpixels - if you pay for an expensive lens.

TORPC
Grafter

Not only a better lens, however bright lighting Wink
Devonian
Grafter

II must admit I did consider 4K when I brought my current, but as nothing is currently broadcast in 4k, and there's no bluray equivalent, plus the PS4 and Xbox 1 don't even display at full 1080p I couldn't see the point.
The TV has a ton more tech then the 4k offerings at the moment to.
As for the curved tv I'm not sure on that.
Mind you, like most people who say '3D is rubbish' I had not actually watched a 3D tv until I got this one, and now I am blown away by it.
If you have never seen a decent 3D tv, well the difference is equivalent to colour versus black and white.
Mav
Fixes: 515

I'm afraid that the idea of bits of a film being apparently thrust out towards me just doesn't have an appeal to me. I couldn't see the benefit/allure back in the 70's and 80's and of the 3D TVs that I have seen recently that view hasn't changed for me.
Now, if a holographic experience akin to Star Trek: The Next Generation whereby you are seemingly immersed in the action then maybe I'll reconsider Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still