Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung S6 Launch

artmo
Aspiring Champion

Samsung S6 Launch

Samsung has launched its new S6
Samsung S6
One version has a curved screen to provide a quick way to stay in touch with select contacts, and to alert owners to important information.
More details here:
S6 More Info
36 REPLIES 36
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Samsung S6 Launch

My S2 is big enough for me.
I thought the one where the screen curves around the sides a strange idea.
After all isn't it the sides of the phone that usually takes all the knocks.
Mav
Fixes: 514

I'm very happy with my S4 mini. Handy size and does all I need - and some stuff I don't Wink
I say happy, I dropped it on the bathroom tiles last week and now the volume control is stuck and the phone refuses to come out of Safe Mode Cry
I have phone insurance cover with Barclays and have made a claim for repair. I am due an upgrade around October but will probably keep this to reduce costs. I may go for the s5 Mini if the price has come down enough, though.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

chrcoluk
Grafter

They have removed unique features of the galaxy line in favour of copying apple.
So they slimmer phones, and slimmer phones are harder to pickup.
Curved edges, again harder to pickup.
My s3 was very hard to pick up until I put in a case, the s5 however doesnt have curved edges and isnt as slim as my s3 and is much easier to pickup.
So the s5 lte-a is probably samsung's best phone now, but they pretending it doesnt exist, no lollipop updates for it, no advertising for it, and some samsung apps dont even work on it.  The s5 lte-a is what EE supply but they put the standard s5 specs on their website.
Hopefull s5 lte-a sales will surge because of this and then it gets more support on XDA.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

How can you say an S3 is hard to pick up Undecided
Looks like a good phone. I look forward to reading reviews on it.
chrcoluk
Grafter

Have you used an S3? I can say it because its true, there is little to grip onto when picking it up.
I also asked a friend (who owns an S4) to try picking up my S3 and he agreed it was hard to pick up.  It now has a rubber case on which has grip pads at the side.  I brought one of those rubber case's for my S5 also but it was made poorly, doesnt quite fit the phone, but luckily the S5 is easier to pick up due to its straighter edges and added thickness.
For some odd reason there is an obsession by phone critics about wafer thin phones.
The S6 seems like samsung made a phone to satisfy the critics rather than their own design beliefs.
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

I have an S3 and without a case on it is hard to pick up from face-down off a hard surface, otherwise it's not too bad, the only letdown with mine is the battery's decided to not have much capacity any more, I am able to upgrade to a new phone, but, there's no decent deals available for phones I want, so staying put for now... Smiley
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I've upgraded the battery on my S3 but I note that is not possible on the S6 Sad
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

It won't be impossible. It just won't be as easy as  the S3
dick:quote
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I was just going on this...
The redesign has, however, meant some features have had to be jettisoned: the phones are not water-resistant, they do not have a microSD slot for extra storage and their backs cannot be removed to change their batteries.

We'll have to wait and see Wink
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Quote from: Strat
I was just going on this...
The redesign has, however, meant some features have had to be jettisoned: the phones are not water-resistant, they do not have a microSD slot for extra storage and their backs cannot be removed to change their batteries.

Yes I know its gone 'unibody'...
artmo
Aspiring Champion

A review on the S6 here:
S6 Review
Mav
Fixes: 514

It's got some great specs and it certainly looks impressive but I do not see the point of making smart phones so much smarter, faster, etc. For me it will never replace a desktop/laptop as you can never really do anything on them apart from show off a few apps which, the majority of the time, most likely never get used again. Good for temporary use when out an about but all I'd want to do is make calls/send texts, the odd bit of surfing, a couple of banking apps and a few games like Scrabble and Sudoku.
I may update to an S5 Mini if the price comes down towards the end of the year or, as my S4 Mini is looking a bit battered, I may just replace it with the same.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

artmo
Aspiring Champion

@Mav, I agree totally with your comments. I want a phone to be a phone with maybe some added features but these days they seem to be playthings that can also make calls.
I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 3. I was talked into it at the O2 shop. Nice phone and a big screen but really too big. I'll go for a smaller phone next time. Still I got a deal. I pay £27 a month for my package.
chrcoluk
Grafter

What happens if it hangs?  My S5 has hung a few times, nothing would bring it back to life except removing the battery and putting it back in.
I take more notice of the comments under the review than the actual review, because the review is based on a free review copy so they want to keep good relations with samsung.