cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy - never again

CX
Grafter

Samsung Galaxy - never again

For the past year I've had a Galaxy S4. I have always been more of an Android fan than iOS, but every single Android device I've bought has had annoying issues.

Advent Vega tablet - piece of junk. Rubbish screen. Rubbish firmware. Poor build quality.

Huawei Ideos phone - slow piece of junk from day one.

Nexus 7 (2012) - great at the start, no obvious bugs, reasonable build quality. useless now due to poor quality storage hardware leading to abysmal performance (unusable).

Lenovo Yoga 2 10 tablet - too many firmware bugs to list. Every update introduces new bugs. Hardly anything gets fixed. Possible hardware design flaws too.

Galaxy S2 - crapped its pants after a few months by filling up the partition with log files. This was a corporate device, so definitely no junkware installed. Required Google search and "hidden" debug mode to recover.

The Galaxy S4 though has been one of the worst. You simply can't use any of the advertised special features, because all they do is screw up some fundamental feature of the phone. For example, turn on voice control, and phone calls will be randomly silent. Turn off the battery saver feature, and continue to receive battery saver notifications.

I had to reset it, because of CONSTANT gapps crashed popup warnings. So I reset to factory settings and spent the next morning reconfiguring it, because for some reason it never managed to get a backup to my Google Account in spite of being configured to do so (and the Yoga backup was there just fine). And now, not even a day later, I can't check the Google Account settings because the Settings app crashes. So I have no idea what/if/when it's syncing the Google account.

I'm seriously tempted to just bite the bullet for an iPhone. Sure, they're overpriced. Sure, they're more locked down. I'd miss the LED notification light too. But my experience of the iPad Mini 2 has been significantly more positive than with any Android device, and particularly Samsung devices.

If not, then the Nexus 5x looks good. Sure, it's a budget Android device, and so will probably have some cost-cutting in the hardware somewhere, but at least Nexus devices behave themselves from a software perspective. Lenovo and Samsung are incapable of that.

12 REPLIES 12
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Samsung Galaxy - never again

not my experience at all, was happy with the S4 so have now upgraded to an S6. Used the app to transfer all my settings over and it worked!

not an ha'porth of bother, I particularly use the wireless charging not available with apple

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I use a Samsung S6 and I'm very happy with it as it's been virtually faultless.

My previous phone was an S3 with equally faultless service.

One man's meat....etc

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

Currently using an LG G4, I had the G2 a few years back and it blew me away back then and this phone continues to impress me, I am a huge fan of the HTC One M7/8/9 but they went downhill so jumped ship Sad

Nexus 5x is a great phone, especially as it runs stock android and is designed for playing with, so if you started to get bored you can essentially change the entire experience fairly easily

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I had an HTC Sensation some time ago which completely died a month outside it's warranty.

I fell out with HTC and moved my allegiance to Samsung.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

I tend not to acknowledge that HTC did phones before the M7, I once had to use a wildfire for a week and it was horrible

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Another fan of the LG G4, which I bought as a replacement for a trusty Samsung S3.

The G4 has the wow factor that the S3 had when it was released, well at least for me.

The S3 was bought on the day it was released and is still going strong with another family member. Also my partner is still using an S3 bought just after mine, and has no plans on changing it. Still a very usable phone.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
CX
Grafter

I can't even edit the words in the personal dictionary for Google Keyboard, because I get the same Settings app crash. It was this way before doing the factory reset too, and searching for this issue reveals others with the same problem, and every time it's a Galaxy S4 running Lollipop, and no working solution is ever posted.

Sod it, I'm ordering a Nexus 5x.

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Still using my Samsung S2 which I've had for many years.

Rooted and unlocked it the day I got it and can honestly say I've never had a single problem with it.

artmo
Aspiring Champion

I had an S3 and then changed to a Samsung Note. A good phone but too many features I just don't use. Will look for a much simpler phone when I next upgrade.

FreddieFlint
Grafter

Just to be different ... I've got a Windows phone Smiley and guess what ... I love it ! !

Mav
Fixes: 514

I had an HTC One then Sensation. The sensation was a great-looking phone but it restarted so many times that when that contract was up I went for a Samsung S3 Mini as SWMBO was pleased with her Samsung S4.

I now have a Samsung S5 Mini which has a few odd quirks but does serve me well.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Medion E5004 here.. Android 5.1, dual sim, 16GB memory, 8 & 5MP cameras, quad core... only real downside is you can't get a case in the uk so have to wait for it from china!

It's not perfect.. but it's superior to anything else i've ever had.. and my previous phone was a basic samsung galaxy young (basic smartphone - it was £50 lol). It's also 4G capable on both sim slots - a lot of dual sim phones only provide one data capable sim slot so as dual sim phones go, this is pretty well up there.

Now i just need to find time (and motivation) to learn how to make my own apps... but to bodge my way around that for the time being i'm using tasker and automate for my geeky stuff.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!