Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung AllShare issues

jay1981

Samsung AllShare issues

Hello there
Need some help.
I have bought Samsung 7000 series 46inch television. It allows me to run videos and photos through program on my laptop and display them onto the TV screen. The name of the software is Samsung AllShare.
The problem is, whenever, I try and play any multimedia content (audio/video/picture) from AllShare, it gives me an error message on television saying 'The selected file is not currently supported'.' I AM able to play the same files using the USB stick, directly plugging into the TV. After a numerous calls with Samsung support team, they said it is something to do with the ports and that I need to get in touch with the ISP ie Plus.net. When i contacted them, they were trying to be helpful, as always, however, didn't get much out of it and also directed me to this forum.
I would greatly appreciate if someone can shed some solid light on this so that I am able to play multimedia content from my laptop into the tv.
Many thanks.
Jay
9 REPLIES 9
picbits
Rising Star

Re: Samsung AllShare issues

I've seen televisions which support certain file types over USB but on over the network / DNLA etc.
I'm pretty sure Toshiba was one - I was reading a review on a telly I was looking at buying a couple of weeks ago and the reviews said it had excellent support for many file types through USB but would play very little over the network.
I could be totally wrong but I'll see if I can find where I read it.
picbits
Rising Star

Re-reading your orignal post, some questions.
Do photos work with this Samsung AllShare ?
What kind of video files are you trying to stream ?
Does the AllShare software have to open this file on your laptop then stream to the television ?
If you have to open the video software on the AllShare first, is this when you get the error or does it appear on the television ?
What is the exact model number of the television ? Maybe someone can Google it and see what it will support.
CX
Grafter

I can't comment on the Samsung Allshare software, but if you don't have any success with it, consider installing a generic DLNA server (e.g. Serviio). Many of them can transcode videos into a supported format - so long as your computer's CPU is fast enough.
The downside is that they might not integrate as nicely into the Samsung TV (I haven't ever used this so I don't know how Allshare compares to a generic server).
picbits
Rising Star

Having seen some owners of similar sets have problems, one of the suggestions is to uninstall the Samsung software and install Serviio and see if that works :
http://www.serviio.org/
I run a Linux system for my DLNA server so I can't help much more with the Windows side of things (and I don't have a Samsung television yet !)
Other suggestions are not to try the wireless but link the television with an ethernet cable to rule out wireless connection issues.
picbits
Rising Star

I've just had a play with Serviio on my Windows laptop and I'm streaming my media to my LG player - it seems to work quite well.
Possible worth a play to rule out the Samsung software as the culprit.
Razer
Grafter

Quote from: jay1981
I AM able to play the same files using the USB stick, directly plugging into the TV.

I got to thinking that maybe you're looking at AllShare because a USB stick doesn't hold much data and you don't want to be transferring single files to it when you want to watch a film or series episodes each night. Do you know that your USB ports on your TV will support an external USB hard drive? All my video files are stored on a single drive and I plug it in every night. So much easier. The beauty of it is I can set the TV timer so it turns off after I've fallen asleep and the drive is turned off too (it naturally gets power from the TV). A word of warning, however. The first USB port on my Samsung TV failed pretty quickly - perhaps from nightly plugging/unplugging. So when I switched to the second port (which is not labelled to support USB HDD but still works), I've used a very short extension which I leave plugged into the TV, and it's that into which I plug my drive. If you don't get anywhere with AllShare or the suggested software, or would just prefer an external HDD, you might want to take the same precaution by using a short extension too.
I don't know how many files you've tested by plugging into the USB port, but the TV's software does support a good range of types, including the more obvious MP4, AVI, DivX, Xvid, h.264, x264 and even plays some flv files (good for videos from YouTube if they are more recent encodes), but the TV software will also support the MKV container. It's not too good, however, with getting the aspect ratio right, especially with MKV (sadly, as a lot of my files I've wrapped in that container). It only seems to get it perfectly right with MP4 files (which means a lot of 're-wrapping' for me). As for audio, unfortunately it doesn't support flac.
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

I've tried serviio before in the past but I found it to be clunky and the web page only setup was ugly to say the least.
Another option you can try is PS3 Media Server. I've been on the whole pretty much happy with it & it works most of the time.
That's RPM to you!!
jay1981

many thanks to all of you. I am now going to try various options and see if I can resolve the issue in question.
If you come across a bullet proof solution in the meantime, I'd be very much grateful to hear that.
many thanks once again for sparing your time on this.
val12

Probably not relevant to this problem but I have a 5000 series samsung TV that would not play MKV files over my network.. I found a video that said change file extension from MKV to AVI. Tried it and file played OK