cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Same IP address as another Plusnet user?

Havel
Grafter

Same IP address as another Plusnet user?

Hi. I was just banned from a forum because apparently my IP address was the same as another user who had previously been banned from their site. I know my IP address changes if I switch my router off or if the connection drops, so is it possible that I might have temporarily ended up with the same IP address as someone else?
5 REPLIES 5
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Re: Same IP address as another Plusnet user?

so is it possible that I might have temporarily ended up with the same IP address as someone else?
It's not possible for you to allocated the same address that someone else currently has but it could well be that you have been allocated the one they had at the time they were banned. It's not very clever of the forum concerned to ban by IP address, since they are dynamically assigned and over a period of time could well be allocated to a number of people.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Havel
Grafter

Urgh, that's what I thought  Sad I have no way of proving that it wasn't me either, so I guess there's not much I can do about it.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

If your router hasn't been switched off then you MAY have a record in the log as to when you were allocated the IP address. Whether that will provide sufficient proof depends...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Have they actually banned your username or just the IP? If it's the latter then disconnecting from Plusnet using the router's GUI, then reconnecting should get you a new one which hopefully will be OK.
David
Havel
Grafter

Quote from: spraxyt
Have they actually banned your username or just the IP? If it's the latter then disconnecting from Plusnet using the router's GUI, then reconnecting should get you a new one which hopefully will be OK.

They banned my whole account because of the IP. Ah well.