Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sagemcom 2704N

PNnewbie
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Sagemcom 2704N

When I was on ADSL I used a couple of bits of software, namely Routerstatslite and DMT, to monitor and tweak speed, s/n levels etc.
Now that I have upgraded to fibre neither of these will work with my new router, a Sagecom 2704N. 
Is there similar software available that will work?
My speeds are not what I was hoping for and I'm wondering if there's anything I can do, if only to look at some stats, I've only had fibre for a week so probably a bit too early to chase PN ...
18 REPLIES 18
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Sagemcom 2704N

Can´t do much with the 2704n I´m afraid... Do you have a Huawei Modem? If so, have a look Here.
I´m sure you´re aware of all the following sites below, I mostly rely on Samknows for all the info I need, then if anything looks very out of whack I can pop my HG612 Modem in line and look at the stats if need be. You could also use a ping monitor but you would need to have a mess around with the 2704n to get the Wan to respond to pings though!

http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2013/chart-bt-fttc-vdsl2-speed-against-distance
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate
http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/
http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/speedtest2.html
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Just in case it wasn't obvious - on Fibre, no Router will give you line stats. You need an unlocked Modem (or a combined unlocked vDSL Modem/Router).
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Also.... you could have a mooch around Expert if you wish to change your password etc.
PNnewbie
Rising Star

11110_110 and Anotherone - thanks for your inputs.
Anotherone - I was unaware that I could not get line stats on fibre though I did suspect as much. 
11110_110 - Some interesting links, some I've seen before, some I've not so will have a read.
My modem is the Huawei Echo Life HG612.
I've only been on fibre a few days and am getting 30 - 31 megs download and 1.6 megs upload.  I checked this afternoon and the green cabinet is about 500 meters from the house.  I'm on the 40 meg package so I reckon I should get a nominal 40 megs.  Maybe give it a few more days then have a chat with PN.
Thanks again for your inputs.
Anotherone
Champion

If you run the BTw Performance test (DON'T REBOOT, use an ethernet connection, ignore the red preamble except make sure no other programs are using the Internet) and at the end of the first run, click the Further Diagnostics button, enter just your Phone number and Run the Further Diagnostics Test, that will give you your IP Profile downstream which is directly related to your sync speed.
You can Copy and Paste of the results and post here (no need to grab an image) if you wish.
PNnewbie
Rising Star

Thanks for that, BTW test results:-
1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download Speed
31.18 Mbps

0 Mbps 38.71 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speed achieved during the test was - 31.18 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 20 Mbps-38.71 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 38.71 Mbps
2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
Upload Speed
1.4 Mbps

0 Mbps 2 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 1.4Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 2 Mbps
Feeling rather energetic yesterday I walked to the BT cabinet that I get my broadband from and it's 600 paces (!) - probably equates to about 500 meters, I expect it could manage 60 - 70 megs, so the 40 package I'm on shouldn't be a problem...
Thanks again
Anotherone
Champion

I'm not sure that you would sync any higher. It's pretty close to 40Mbps at present. However, the throughput speeds ought to be much better.  Was that test over a wireless connection?
PNnewbie
Rising Star

No, ethernet and I turned everything off so nothing running except the test...
Anotherone
Champion

Try a few more over the course of the day at non peak times and see how/if it varies.
PNnewbie
Rising Star

I'll do some more checks over the next few hours and see what happens.  I have been doing loads of tests using various sites and they are surprisingly consistent.  I tend to use 'My Broadband Speed' where the last 16 tests can be graphed. 
Possibly raise a ticket with PN this evening.
PNnewbie
Rising Star

Have run a few tests over the last 24 hours and speeds have been pretty constant - nominally 30 megs down & 1.6 megs up.
Have also posted under 'Fibre' so hoping someone from PN will pick it up...
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

I'm not sure that you would sync any higher. It's pretty close to 40Mbps at present. However, the throughput speeds ought to be much better.
I'll go with that. The IP profile of 38.71 is spot on for a 40Mb sync, and since you're on the 40/2 package that's as good as it's going to get. As AO says, the problem is throughput. I can't see anywhere that we've checked the PN line speed, but I can't see that being set around the 30 mark , it's either going to be down at the old ADSL value or 40Mb I would have thought , but maybe it's worth checking just in case ( https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed ). Given that your speed tests seem consistent across time then it doesn't look like contention as that would be more apparent at peak times.
We've eliminated wireless so other possibilities:-
have you tried speed tests on more than one device/PC ?
what OS is the device running ? ( thinking maybe an RWIN problem if it's XP )
if OS is windows, then maybe eliminate AV issues by trying in safe mode
possibly try speed tests with another browser
check that NIC driver is up to date

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

PNnewbie
Rising Star

MisterW - thanks for the suggestions - plenty to be getting on with there !
>>> I can't see anywhere that we've checked the PN line speed, but I can't see that being set around the 30 mark , it's either going to be down at the old ADSL value or 40Mb I would have thought  <<<

Estimated line speed:-  40Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2015-06-27 17:12:48
Current line speed:-  38.6 Mb

Some interesting developments.
I re-configured my old Tosh laptop (from wireless to ethernet)  and did some tests on that, using the same ethernet cable and I get better speeds - nominally 36 megs down 1.6 megs up - more like what I was originally expecting.  I tested with BTW, Thinkbroadband and Mybroadbandspeed and consistently reasonable speeds.
Now both PC's run XP and I was using Firefox on both.  I had an old version of FF on the main PC (v28) so I updated that to the latest v40.  It made no difference.
Running MS Internet Explorer on the main PC gives slightly better speeds - 32 megs as opposed to 30 with Firefox.
Now I ran the main PC in safe mode with networking enabled and speeds are slightly better, by a couple of megs maybe but not up to the 36/37 I was getting with the old laptop.
I’ve run this machine for a number of years, it’s a Dell Dimension 9150 and it’s specs are generally much better than the crappy old Tosh – which gives me better speeds !!!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Current line speed:-  38.6 Mb
That's correct and unfortunately what I was expecting.
From your other tests it does seem that your PC may be the problem.
I re-configured my old Tosh laptop (from wireless to ethernet)  and did some tests on that, using the same ethernet cable and I get better speeds - nominally 36 megs down 1.6 megs up - more like what I was originally expecting.
That does tend to indicate the problem is with the PC.
Given that the PC is running XP it's probably worth giving TCP Optimizer a try http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php to see if it adjusts RWIN which may give an improvement.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.