cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sagem 2704N connection problems with my Sky+ connector and Three's HomeSignal bo

dleholt
Grafter

Re: Sagem 2704N connection problems with my Sky+ connector and Three's HomeSignal bo

I have the exact same issue with mine, similarly affecting multiple devices, both wired and wireless. PlusNet did swap out my 2704n for another one, but that made no difference. I'm resigned to buying my own fibre router instead.
alhenderson
Grafter

Re: Sagem 2704N connection problems with my Sky+ connector and Three's HomeSignal bo

I'm resigned to buying another £50 set of TP link adapters to allow me to hard wire the sky box.  I currently have it attached to one I took from elsewhere and it's been fine (in that I can get to OnDemand on the sky box and search for content which I could not do before - have not actually watched anything yet but it looks like that will be OK).  Or, as you say, a fibre router.  Very disappointing.
Al.
Dick:quote
alhenderson
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
I can't find what I thought I'd seen at present, which specific model(s) of Powerline are you using? Someone else using the same ones may have some ideas.

I'm using PA4020 pass through adapters (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00LV41PO4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00).  Hasn't given me any trouble so far with the sky box.  As I said in another post, I have yet to actually watch something, but I can certainly access OnDemand and its menus which I could not do over WiFi.  Think I'm going to have to get another couple of them rather than spend any more time faffing about with the WiFi.  Disappointed that  the PlusNet supplied router is so bad..
Al.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

In the DHCP Leases list in reply #22, is the Skybox one of the Unknowns?
Judging by some of the other threads I've seen, being an Unknown device is what seems to cause a variety of issues, wireless or wired.
thedyes0
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hi the dyes0, welcome to the Forum btw.
If Plusnet have said your connection isn't dropping, then I doubt that your issue has anything to do with the connection so vdsl drops don't even enter the picture. In any event a CRT member could post a Vis.Radius graph for you to show that it's OK.
What IP address are you assigning to your extender (or any of your devices)? Are they all within the DHCP range before you define them as Static?
What other routers (if any) do you have?

I never mentioned that the router is dropping connection to the modem/exchange it's just struggling to stay connected/connect to computers, laptops, phones... etc on the network.
I'm not using any extender at the moment, I want to use a spare router as an extender but I can't figure it out... it used to work easily and perfectly with my old routers (Non-fibre capable)
I've tried both static and automatic IP's for every device, it still encounters the same problems... yes they're within the dchp range, tried at the start of the range, end of the range and even spaced out but nope same problems.
alhenderson
Grafter

In the DHCP Leases list in reply #22, is the Skybox one of the Unknowns?
Judging by some of the other threads I've seen, being an Unknown device is what seems to cause a variety of issues, wireless or wired.

Yes, I believe it is, I only know that by comparing the IP to that reported by the sky box itself. Confusingly, though, when I was looking at that list the other night, I saw another connection with the name 'skywirelessconnector'. Never seen that until then, which is odd considering it's the icky easy my sky box has of connecting as it's not one with built in WiFi.
Bottom line - I have no faith in the list of connected devices that this router is showing me...
Anotherone
Champion

It's strange that another Powerline adapter seems to work OK, what's the difference between the two? Does that one not working with the Skybox, work OK elsewhere?
@thedyes0
There's probably a bit of misunderstanding there as I was responding in the context of Chris Parr's reply #5 where he suggested that the connection has dropped 3 days previously. It's fairly evident that this has nothing to do with the Fibre connection. The issues must be related to getting the 2704n set up correctly (if possible and it's not actually faulty).
I did ask what other routers you had so we could see whether anything else might be persuaded to work to see if we could confirm the 2704n as possibly faulty. Are any/all of the ethernet connected devices that are dropping connection listed as "Unknown"?
Anyway both, I'm going to suggest to a mod that this thread be moved to the hardware board, we may get some extra input from others over there.
alhenderson
Grafter

@anotherone, some misunderstanding here, I think. I've tried one power line adaptor and it's fine, it's when I use WiFi that I have the problem. My sky box needs a seperate wireless connector...
My father in law has the same router (I think, although he's not on fibre) and his sky box connects to OnDemand just fine with WiFi. His sky box has built in wireless, though..

Al
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

Any router listed as being vdsl/vdsl2(+) with an Ewan port that allows pppoe setup will work alongside the bt modem, no need to get an All in one box,
As to the router setup, did you change the default lease time in the DHCP settings?
When you say you set a static ip, do you mean for instance, your router has a DHCP range of 192.168.1.100~254 and you picked something within that range, or did you choose something like 192.168.0xx on the device in question?  This second type of static ip only works with wired devices
For WiFi you should leave them as dynamic (automatic) ip's, personally I tend to give all wired devices a static ip outside the router range and leave WiFi devices on automatic connection, with a default lease time on dhcp to avoid the link drop problems your describing, the only downside to this is wired devices only show up in arp table and not in the dhcp table, so long as they all have the same network name as the router everything can see and talk to each other as well as using the internet
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
thedyes0
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hi, I have tried everything DCHP wise, tried shorter leases, longer leases but all result in the same random disconnections or failure to authenticate/connect.
I gave them an IP of say: 192.168.1.140 (for my phone) and within a day it lost connection and wouldn't connect for 10-20 mins...
I'm not a novice with routers so it's all pretty simple to me, this is the only router I've ever had a problem with in this regard.
dick:quote
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

fair enough,
have you tried narrowing the dhcp pool on the router, instead of allowing  it to assign any address from .100~.254 make it .100~.130 (or whatever number represents the number of devices you have +5) to see if that fixes the problem whilst still using the default lease time (normally 24 hours)
and check what the advanced wifi setup is,
I seem to recall having similar connection issues with a home hub some years back because of the preamble and cam settings being wrong.
its easy enough to click the wrong thing and then spend weeks trying to figure out what the problem is, whenever I got stuck I would just restore factory defaults and start again until I finally got something that was working as required /
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Anotherone
Champion

nanotm, this is the 2704n and not the TG582n!
Quote from: nanotm
When you say you set a static ip, do you mean for instance, your router has a DHCP range of 192.168.1.100~254 and you picked something within that range, or did you choose something like 192.168.0xx on the device in question?  This second type of static ip only works with wired devices
For WiFi you should leave them as dynamic (automatic) ip's, personally I tend to give all wired devices a static ip outside the router range and leave WiFi devices on automatic connection, with a default lease time on dhcp to avoid the link drop problems your describing, the only downside to this is wired devices only show up in arp table and not in the dhcp table, so long as they all have the same network name as the router everything can see and talk to each other as well as using the internet

The 2704n does not seem to allow ANY IP addresses that are not within the DHCP range, it says they are invalid addresses as mentioned in at least one of the linked threads listed in reply #23.
And as thedyes0 has mentioned that he/she is not exactly a novice with routers, the conclusion I have come to is that their 2704n must be a faulty one, and we'll need to get a CRT member to organise a replacement.
@alhenderson
Sorry, yes, definitely misunderstood. It was the "I nicked a powerline adaptor from elsewhere to try with the sky box" that threw me.
It seems likely, your 2704n may be faulty as well then Sad
alhenderson
Grafter

I limited my DHCP range to 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.200 and have assigned static IPs of 201 and 202 to a couple of devices and everything is fine..  I configured them on the devices themselves, mind..
I took the powerline adapter off my sky box and put the wireless back on to see if changing the channel would make any difference at all.  Before I did that, I checked to see if it was still broken and it wasn't.  Has been OK for 24 hours, so I'm going to keep an eye on it.  Maybe there was a problem at the Sky end last week - who knows!
Al.
dick:quote
Anotherone
Champion

Hmm, well when I tried it, it didn't work Sad
Quote from: alhenderson
I limited my DHCP range to 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.200 and have assigned static IPs of 201 and 202 to a couple of devices and everything is fine..  I configured them on the devices themselves, mind..

I'll have to experiment again.
Do post back on how it goes, there have been so many issues with this 2704n, it beggars belief.
dleholt
Grafter

I remembered that my old Apple Time Capsule supported PPPoE, so I tried connecting that to the Openreach modem instead of using the 2704n. It's been about a week now, and the difference has been amazing. No more dropped connections. I've also noticed that web pages now load much quicker, where as with the 2704n they would often stall. So If you have a router laying around that supports PPPoE, I'd recommend giving it a try. Bearing in mind I've had two 2704n's with the same problem, I do wonder if there's some inherent fault with these routers or their firmware.