cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sagem 2704N connection problems with my Sky+ connector and Three's HomeSignal bo

alhenderson
Grafter

Re: Sagem 2704N connection problems with my Sky+ connector and Three's HomeSignal bo

Thanks.  It did occur to me that if I was in the game of buying kit anyway then I could look to replace the two boxes that PN supplied with a single box (a la HomeHub).  That'd keep the wife happy  Smiley  The TP-Link 9980 seems to do this, and is only £60, which might well be a warning, I guess...
I did read a few things that seemed to suggest I could connect my old Netgear DGN2200 to the fibre modem, but I tried that and it didn't work.  Not sure if there was some configuration I needed to do to turn one of the Ethernet ports into a WAN port, or maybe I have a version that just plain doesn't do it..
Al.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Sagem 2704N connection problems with my Sky+ connector and Three's HomeSignal bo

I did read a few things that seemed to suggest I could connect my old Netgear DGN2200
I'm not sure but I think it might only be the v4 version that has this capability. According to the netgear kb here http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23693/~/dgn2200v4-%E2%80%93-using-lan-port-4-as-a-wan-... it SHOULD autodetect but you can force configuration of LAN port 4 manually.
Hope that helps ( assuming you do have a v4 ! )

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

alhenderson
Grafter

Thanks for that, mine's a v2 or v3, I think (def not a 4). Glad I didn't spend any more time trying to get it to work 🙂
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

BTW if you are thinking about a single box solution you might find this resource useful http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14436.0.html

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Thanks MisterW having looked at some specs for the DGN2200 I saw that the v2 & v3 couldn't do it.
alhenderson
Grafter

Quick update from me. I bit the bullet and got a new router - Netgear WNDR4500 and everything is now fine with my Sky box. To be fair to Plusnet they contributed towards the cost, which was good.  I got the impression that they'd seen the problem with a few customers but not a huge number.
Cheers,
Al
thedyes0
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hi Again,
I'm still having problems with this router, just randomly lost connection with my phone yet my internet didn't go down at all because I was mid-skype call on my laptop so... yeah.
When are Plusnet going to either fix this or change to a completely new router, leave buggy sagem 2704N behind!
I really can't afford to get myself a new router at the moment, I certainly wish I could afford one of the Dual Band routers with decent wireless capabilities, with G.INP and preferably Wireless AC but hey now I'm being picky Tongue haha but yeah they're rather pricey.
Any advice...?
thedyes0
Rising Star

Usually the problem only hits one device at a time, not usually multiple devices at the same time however this morning the internet (wifi) wasn't working for any device.
It kept throwing up the error "Authentication failed" when the password was 100% correct and nothing has been changed in the router.
thedyes0
Rising Star

GUESS WHAT!
Again, happened twice today already.
Anotherone
Champion

How far away from the 2704n are you? What firmware version is it running at present?
thedyes0
Rising Star

No where near out of range, I can be within 2m and it can still happen.
Firmware version: 7.273.1_F2704N_Plusnet
adie:quote
thedyes0
Rising Star

*bangs head on the router*
Anotherone
Champion

If you turn the Wireless off, are there any other signals that are as strong as yours?
I'm also wondering if you are getting interference from some other equipment, for example a microwave oven!
thedyes0
Rising Star

Nope, we're by far the strongest. The other 7 wifi's in the area are always under half the strength of mine. I've checked other equipment in the house, it's not that and remember our past routers we had no issues it's just this Sagem 2704N...
adie:Quote
Anotherone
Champion

Can you check or do you know if it's doing the same with an Ethernet connection? Is it doing this at similar time slots every day, or is it completely random?