cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sagem 2074n Uploading large file stops Internet browsing

tferenc

Sagem 2074n Uploading large file stops Internet browsing

Does anyone else have this issue?

During the uploading of a 500MB file to Google Drive, surfing the internet becomes
impossible, e.g. on the PC viewing the BBC weather page takes 35 seconds,
on my Android tablet the page just times out, also my internet radio
won't connect.

If I swop the Sagem router for my very old Thomson then everything is
fine, but as you would expect there is a slight delay when when I view a
web page.

9 REPLIES 9
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: Sagem 2074n Uploading large file stops Internet browsing

It's called buffer bloat and the 2704n seems particularly prone to it:

Link

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

One option (not ideal due to cost) would be to use your mobile phone connection for uploading instead. I had to do this last year when uploading a 300mb file to my website that plusnet wouldn't give me any credible speed with causing the ftp server to timeout.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
tferenc

Thanks for the link, I searched the forum and could not find it.

I have never been impressed the the router,  this just adds another nail in the coffin.

I have never seem this before with my other routers, I think the legal phrase is that "it is not fit for purpose"

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

You are quite right  not to be impressed with a Hub Zero, see this review http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/plusnet/1403635/plusnet-hub-zero-2704n-review

Having said that you do seem to be asking a lot from presumably an ADSL connection. At the end of the day  you’re not going to get a top of the range freebie with a budget end of the market ISP’s basic service.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I guess you can ask PlusNet for a Hub One, but I guess that would mean re-contracting and paying the P&P fee upfront.

Other options is to get a cheapo router from eBay et al. I believe BT Homehubs despite being locked to BT will work on PlusNet.

I don't use one, but I've read on here of people who do and they can help you out in setting one up.

EDIT: Also plenty of Hub Ones on eBay going for around £20. The only thing I am not sure of is whether a more up-to-date router will fix your problem.

Baldrick1

I understand that Hub Ones are only offered to fibre customers. You can buy one from Ebay but why would you when  a far superior Smarthub 6 can be bought for about £10 more? Saying these are 'locked' to BT is potentially off-putting. They default to auto configuration on the BT network but are very easy to set up manually on a Plusnet account.

Moderator and Customer

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

It’s not off-putting. It is a fact.

I don’t think it should be allowed, all I was saying they are locked to BT and they can be used on PlusNet too.
tferenc

I'm a software guy, so I don't know much about hardware.

All other routers I have used have not had this problem even my old Thomson TG585 works fine and it is years old, so I can't see why a modern router dose not.

I am sure that I am like most people and don't upload large files very often so I can schedule them overnight, but I may go back to the Thomson router soon.

Baldrick1

I've no experience of how many ISPs the BT hubs will work on. I know that they work with Plusnet and a quick internet search indicates that they work with Talktalk. I suspect that it will also work with other smaller ISPs who allow customers to use their own hardware. To my mind that is not locked.

I also understand that some ISPs insist that customers use their own routers, so in this case the BT router is locked out by others, not that the BT router is locked.

Moderator and Customer