cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SURPRISE ! - Ubuntu 12.04 is actually pretty good !

AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: SURPRISE ! - Ubuntu 12.04 is actually pretty good !

Sorry my mistake I knew the numbers sounded wrong for some reason  Embarrassed The lap top is a 1672 lmi. Just did the crucial scan and I have 2xsticks of 256mb already but it will accept 2x1gig.
Proper spec is.....
Module Size: 1GB
Package: 200-pin SODIMM
Feature: DDR PC2700
Specs: DDR PC2700 • CL=2.5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR333 • 2.5V • 128Meg x 64 •  £27.59 inc vat each plus delivery.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmmm, I hadn't appreciated just how expensive old DDR1 laptop memory has become (now it is obsolete), and how few second hand parts there are to be had.
You could keep an eye on eBay, such as - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Crucial-1GB-200-pin-SODIMM-DDR-PC2700-memory-module-/160796999236?pt=UK_Co...
Alternatively lowering your sights to 2 * 512MB sticks is probably more realistic - considering the age, condition, and value of your laptop.
I have had a look at the available second hand 512MB modules, but while you could wait on eBay for a couple of sticks for say £15, I found these NEW genuine Crucial modules for £9.99 each with free shipping -
http://www.clevedons.co.uk/product_info.php?i=B0006TTDF8
You can double check the specification on the Crucial website - http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/partspecs.aspx?imodule=CT6464X335
You could save the odd pound with http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Crucial-512mb-SODIMM-RAM-ct6464x335x-/261014318830?pt=UK_Computing_Compute... but the new ones will have a guarantee and will be easier to return if there are any problems.
Hope that helps  Smiley
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for that link. I guess it's worth throwing twenty quid at the old machine. It's done me proud up to now. I only just realised that I was downloading updates automatically  Embarrassed probably explains the clunkiness  at start up Grin
BTW forgot to mention i was mooching about the ubuntu forums today and it appears that I wasn't the only one who had bother with iso sums not adding up.Something to do with the final release changing without updating the site and some torrents giving corrupt data solved by changing to a different tracker. Was mainly the 64bit version though from what I was reading,
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Installed 12.04 to my system at work which seems a lot smoother even with just 1gig of ram so I reckon getting the two 512 sticks would definitely be a help. If 12.04 is promoting being business friendly nows its chance to prove it.  Smiley I have both my computers at work running ubuntu now, one 10.04lts and one 12.04lts. I'm leaving the other machine on 10.04 for now due to it's very low spec. With support for XP coming to an end I'm going to see what limitations ubuntu has with the hope of moving fully to it in a working environment.
So far I have pretty much mirrored the windows system with some like for like software with the exception of 2 which I'm looking forward to helping to see if there are work arounds.
Windows                                            12.04lts
Open office                                    Libre Office
Brava Reader                                Gimp
Comodo Cloud                              Ubuntu one
All of which are essential in my every day use and are free. The exceptions I have found so far is no real alternative to my Sage accounting software and my Blackberry desktop software. There are accounting packages and of course Barry but to be fair neither are a real working alternative but I will have a look at running in wine. One thing that would be handy if anyone knows of such a beast is some synchronising software. At the moment in windows I'm using Allsync.
How my set up goes with windows at the moment due to me being out on site or having to do some work from home. I need to keep all devices synced as much as possible with having to make decisions on the move. How I go about it is, working in comodo cloud I have all my work on both my laptop and office desktop which I can use my Blackberry to get internet access on the laptop wherever I am using the desktop software. This also syncs my contacts with outlook so at any one time wherever I am I always have my office with me and software for spreadsheets and word available. When I'm in the office I can sync the Blackberry with Allsync which keeps all three devices right. And all of it free  Cool
Barry is a bit ropey when it comes to tethering and also doesn’t sync all contact info properly especially with thunderbird. But I'm sure I can get everything with the exception of possibly Sage to work together. It's a testament to the OS though that I only need to boot into my xp for one bit of software.