cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SURPRISE ! - Ubuntu 12.04 is actually pretty good !

Anonymous
Not applicable

SURPRISE ! - Ubuntu 12.04 is actually pretty good !

I had some spare time today, and finally got around to rebuilding a low powered Intel Atom computer that I intend to use as a NAS/DLNA server on my home network.
To check the thing works OK my first thoughts were to install my favourite Ubuntu 10.10 desktop, only to discover that the official repositories have been removed in the last few days because that version has just passed it's end of life support date ! - http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/?p=55404
Looking for something new to try instead, I discovered Ubuntu 12.04 beta2, waited just a few minutes for the install to complete and it was ready to go.
On starting it I was predictably dismayed that it still looked like the same crappy Unity/Gnome3 mobile phone interface.
I was trying to find something useful to do, that would involve using different aspects of the OS to see if anything much had actually changed - other than the version number.
I occurred to me that since Oracle had removed Sun Java6 from Linux repositories, I had never quite got around to finding a permanent solution on all my other Ubuntu desktops, so thought while I have a machine to play with, I will try out some of the suggested ppas or scripts to manage the ongoing Java updates.
To my surprise, while attempting the Java stuff, I found that the latest version of the mobile phone desktop has become MUCH more stable than Ubuntu 11.04 (which was the last one I tried), and other subtle changes have made it much less annoying - and if I dare say it - it is actually usable.
Then my greatest find, I stumbled across this article - http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/03/gnome-classic-in-ubuntu-12-04-its-like-nothing-ever-changed/
Hang on a minute, I thought Ubuntu had permanently removed the "Classic Desktop" mode.
In disbelief I installed the fallback mode and the 'gnome-applets', logged out and back in again and hey presto I now have an up to date Ubuntu that behaves more or less like Ubuntu 9.10 or 10.04 - but not quite a slick as 10.10 yet, but it is still a beta release !

Just for the record, the following method has permanently fixed the updating of Sun Java6 updates on all my Ubuntu machines, which are now all at version 6u31-
cd ~/
wget https://raw.github.com/flexiondotorg/oab-java6/master/oab-java6.sh -O oab-java6.sh
chmod +x oab-java6.sh
sudo ./oab-java6.sh
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

although the method is very slightly different if your machine doesn't already have the original Ubuntu repo. version of Sun Java6 and Mozilla plugin already installed.

Remember that Ubuntu 12.04 is currently a beta release for testing, the official LTS release will be in a couple of weeks -
63 REPLIES 63
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: SURPRISE ! - Ubuntu 12.04 is actually pretty good !

Yep I took It for a spin a couple nights ago and was pretty Impressed with It myself tbh.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

But a proper GUI is labelled as a fall-back mode?
I see Ubuntu still suffers with the Unity infection.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Anonymous
Not applicable

It might be called fallback mode, but having used it for a day I think it is the way forward for me.
I have been discovering loads of little improvements and NOTHING yet that makes me question why I wouldn't upgrade from Ubuntu 10.10.
When I first tried the Unity style interface in Ubuntu 11.04, it was unreliable, unpredictable, unintuitive, unstable and simply annoying.
Now it is significantly improved and usable (if you like that sort of thing).
However I like my multiple 22"  1600x1200  monitors with lots of simultaneous open windows, and therefore the mobile phone desktop looks silly and is clumsy compared to a traditional windowed desktop on the big screens, but is now probably quite good on a laptop or tablet with a restrictive display area.
Ubuntu 12.04 "Classic Desktop" looks like what I will be using for the next few years (as it is an LTS release).
It will be nice to get to use the final release, as there have already been nearly a hundred updates to the 'beta2' just today !, but at least that currently gives me two weeks of testing before I commit to upgrading !

Keep watching the countdown for the days until final release -
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I'm liking your countdown timers :), I have actually wiped windows seven from my PC and installed 12.04 as I like It that much!! Loads of updates keep coming In thick and fast, And I have my launcher to stay hidden always until I point my cursor to the left, Works great for me, Nice clean crisp desktop.
VileReynard
Hero

I just get baffled when Ubuntu throw out words like dash.
I expect the marketing department thought it sounded good - but it's meaningless to me.
I would guess it probably means you have to search for some textual thing that you used to use your mouse for.
Or do they mean that pile of short cut icons?
Strange the way these expensive touch sensitive screens retain the old keyboard push-button mentality isn't it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

[quote=Steve M ]I'm liking your countdown timers  Smiley
Well it saves keep visiting the Ubuntu website to check  Wink

[quote=A Fox is Evil]I just get baffled when Ubuntu throw out words like dash.
I expect the marketing department thought it sounded good - but it's meaningless to me.
So will love to know all about HUD - Head-Up Display, which will ultimately replace menus in Unity applications.  http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/939
VileReynard
Hero

HUD is a DUMB (Disasters Usually Motivate Backups) idea.  Grin Grin Grin

Anonymous
Not applicable

Someone has already done the Ubuntu Dumb Edition

AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Glad to see some of the old skool users liking the new ubuntu. I've been on 10.04lts since it came out and it's been rock solid for me. The posts I was reading about the new desktop was a worry. I think I may dual boot the latest lts on my old lappy when it comes out for a while before putting it on my main pc. I don't like change and have always run ubuntu since 9.10 I think it was never tried the other distros.
Anonymous
Not applicable

If Ubuntu 12.04 hadn't been so good, with the absence of an alternative Linux desktop that is BETTER than Ubuntu 10.10, I was seriously considering going backwards to 10.04-LTS as that was another extremely good release and would provide ongoing security and program updates until April 2013 - as 10.10 support has just expired !

I just discovered why there were so many updates today, according to the Precise Pangolin Release Schedule, it is the final day to include last minute code changes before the pre-release code freeze that occurs at 21:00 UTC.

AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I'm starting to look forward to this, I haven't had a mess about with something new for ages its a sad state of affairs when all your techs just working  Grin
Sign of times I guess.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

My Install just got hosed with some updates, Thank god for back ups.
Anonymous
Not applicable

You got me worried there 'Steve M',
I just did the latest 129 updates ....  and it still works perfectly  -  PHEW !

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Been trying to figure out where It went wrong, Got some updates yest for nVidia and compiz stuff, Few reports on the Ubuntu forum.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1957518