Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSDs getting bigger

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

SSDs getting bigger

No pricing yet but probably a little on the expensive side...
http://www.dabs.com/blog/index.php/worlds-largest-hard-drive-samsung-16tb-ssd/?utm_source=facebook&u...; Shocked
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
19 REPLIES 19
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

Re: SSDs getting bigger

With 16TB, who needs media compression? Just store everything in a raw, full-resolution, unmolested bitrate state... Grin
thejudge
Rising Star

This reminds me of those little doobries you used to be able to get which held eight £1 coins....which meant that when you lost it, you lost £8 rather than just £1.
The trouble with things like this is that the more data you store on them, the more you'll lose when they die on you. I've just had to replace a 1TB external drive, and reloading everything onto that is being a right pain.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

SSD's are also getting smaller.  Cheesy
You can get 30GB ones for about £25.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

32GB USB sticks are cheaper I thought?
VileReynard
Hero

USB sticks are always cheaper.

twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero

They're also slower compared to SATA... Grin
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

well according to a blog I read last week ssd's are actually slower than 7200 hdd's for retrieval due to them being a mish mash of multiple storage controllers all getting in each others way as data retrevial operations are triggered, apparently anything over 250gb has this problem due to the multi chip storage system being used

so whilst 16tb ssd might be great in theory unless they find a new way to do the memory control interface it would be faster to retrieve info from a set of encyclopaedias in the local library than to get the info out of the last storage chip in that drive after a few months of daily use ....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: nanotm
............... unless they find a new way to do the memory control interface it would be faster to retrieve info from a set of encyclopaedias in the local library than to get the info out of the last storage chip in that drive after a few months of daily use ....

Grin Grin Oh I do like your sense of humour on occasion, but you forgot to include the bus journey time to the interface library.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Then there's the wait time for the bus, I believe SSDs usually support 'Native Queueing'  Grin
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

ah but native queuing and bus transit times between interfaces are common to both options so are negligible in that regard.....

and in case anyone wasn't clear far from being a serious comparison its an alliterative illustration of the excessive wait time introduced by the multiple "wait while I check" commands being issued within the ssd, as each individual cluster (chip) controller works in series rather than parallel, and each one has 64gb of storage giving you up to a 30 second wait time for a few small files that are being accessed across multiple storage segments within each of the chips (a by product of wear levelling doing its job to well) on a busy device.....a serious problem that has started to cause problems for a lot of server farms that had opted for larger drives under the illusion that they would be faster thus allow greater throughput across multiple endpoints than the cheaper and actually faster over time hdd's...
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero

well according to a blog I read last week ssd's are actually slower than 7200 hdd's for retrieval due to them being a mish mash of multiple storage controllers all getting in each others way as data retrevial operations are triggered, apparently anything over 250gb has this problem due to the multi chip storage system being used

According to my experience of a Mushkin Chronos 120GB SSD with a 1TB Western Digital Blue 3.5" 7200RPM HDD as the system storage, the SSD wipes the floor with the HDD... Grin
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

well according to a blog I read last week

what blog was that?
one written by an idiot? or just a blog read by one  Grin
VileReynard
Hero

Do SSD's give any warning of impending failure?
Traditional hard disks often do.

twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: vilefoxdemonofdoom
Do SSD's give any warning of impending failure?

I'll let you know after I get past the 90,000 IOPS quoted for my Mushkin... Grin