cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSDs and W7

Mav
Fixes: 515

SSDs and W7

Have been reading lots on the 'net regarding how to best set up a 60B SSD with W7, some of it seems over-the-top in the amount of info and other a bit too technical.
From what I gather it seems the best option is just to install the OS on the SSD with W7 automatially disabling any defragmenting options.
What about the Swap (Page) file, should this be set to the SSD or a HDD?
As W7 Profesional takes less than 25GB should I consider installing other apps to the SSD or avoid doing that? If I do, is there an amount of free space I should keep available?
Any advice from those more knowledgable about SSDs than me (probably everyone here ;)) would be appreciated.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

7 REPLIES 7
kmilburn
Grafter

Re: SSDs and W7

If you've got a HDD in the system,  then I'd be inclined to use that for the pagefile to prevent unnecessary writes to the SSD.
I'd also make it fixed size to prevent fragmentation issues on the HDD!
Ultimately,  it depends on how much RAM you've got and what programs you use, as to whether it makes any practical difference.
Generally,  it's best to put  programs and data that infrequently change (but are often used) onto the SSD to gain the performance from the better read speed.
I'd also move the User folders onto the HDD as they'll probably change more frequently, and it makes it easier to reinstall the OS without losing the user data.
Mav

That all makes sense, thanks.
I do have several HDDs to be included and was already thinking about putting User folders on one of them.
Page file to HDD, too. Would it be better to put the Page file on a different drive than the user files and remaining apps that I don't install on the SSD? Would that help to keep the system at optimum performance?
I'll be installing 8GB RAM so don't expect a great use of the Page file.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

hi Mav when i installed my SSD i found this page very useful  Wink most important is to swap to ACHI mode in bios , and disable defrag
http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/the-ssd-optimization-guide-2/
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Mav

Thanks.
I had read elsewhere that when W7 detects an SSF it automatically disables defrag for it.
Had a quick read of your link and will have a proper look later when I get home Smiley

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'm guessing you'll be using it differently to how I do (this is mostly for games) but I have a 64GB SSD in my system, deliberately didn't install the OS to it - I just install games to HDDs as usual and then copy the folder over to the SSD and leave a symlink in its place. It's transparent to Windows so no issues there, and means the games load a lot faster though with the size of games these days (especially including patches - I'm looking at you, Battlefield 3) there's only room for one or two.
If you don't do a lot of gaming though it's probably best to install the OS to it and use the free space to install your most used apps as suggested above. I believe W7 is pretty good at recognising an SSD and not doing any unnecessary read/write cycles.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Wink Matt, i did it the other way , fresh install win 7 SSD connected only , restarted with 1TB hd connected , for some reason win 7 tries to install on HD first  :o,  then installed BF3 on SSD  & install other programs on HD .
win 7 loads fast  Wink as does BF3  Smiley as for game  patches and updates that's why i went for a 120gig SSD  Kiss
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Interesting. Must admit I reinstalled recently after a hardware upgrade and actually installed BF3 to the SSD, but that's because we're playing ESL matches now and ESLWire (eeeew...) wouldn't recognise BF3 was installed with the redirect in place.