Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD's & HDD

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

SSD's & HDD

As the cost of SSD's is much greater than  HDD's it's likely  that the latter will be around for some time but as the price of SSD's falls is it likely HDD's will be phased out  in a similar way that floppy disks were phased out or will there always be a place for  HDD's ?
We are born into history and history is born into us.
6 REPLIES 6
Thunderclap
Grafter

Re: SSD's & HDD

Cool WInd the clock back a decade. When flash cards first came out, they were small, expensive and, we were storing data on floppy discs - in a range of funky colours. And we used lots to do backups and port data from A to B. Admit it, who now uses floppy discs? That said, some people still do. And there's tech diehards still using zip drives and mag cartridges. It is enevitable that someone will invent a way of fabricating SSDs dense and cheap ( using graphine maybe ). The poor HDD, even those 1Tb devices, is heading for back of the cupboard where all the other dead formats reside. As for HDDs in this transition period, they'll still be at the core of systems that are data hungry, such as photos, movies and music - but in the cloud.
On the desktop, the rattle and clack of the HDD inside the case will soon be a distant memory, like the clunk whizz of the VHS recorder.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Also not to forget the PCIe connected SSD are become more available with larger sizes, OCZ have a 320gig revo drive now
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: rongtw
Also not to forget the PCIe connected SSD are become more available with larger sizes, OCZ have a 320gig revo drive now

I think their 480GB is due out soon as well, over 1200MB/s on both read and write which is insane!
I've recently upgraded from a mechanical to solid state with read and writes of 500+MB/s and the contrast is pretty noticeable, I can only imagine that the Revo opens programs before your mouse pointer reaches the icon!  Cheesy
WTF
Grafter

I would imagine there will be a place for HDDs in server centres for some time to come: SSD has the issue that data can only be overwritten a relatively limited number times.  While that's fine for most uses, it's not so great where you have highly volatile data.
There's still plenty of tape being used for backup after all - and that ancient (1960s?) tech is still being developed.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

i've got a 500GB SSD in my main laptop and there's a 240GB SSD in the secondary one, other machines are still running HDD.
I did have one fail but it was replaced under warranty and as it was regularly backed up didn't cause too much hassle.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Thunderclap
On the desktop, the rattle and clack of the HDD inside the case will soon be a distant memory

If only all the numerous fans would go as well.