Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD prices

FIXED
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

SSD prices

I'm thinking of replacing the hole left by a failed hard drive with a small SSD (maybe 240GB) in an old laptop.

But prices vary widely - why is this?

I don't care about the claimed speed of the SSD - should I just buy the absolute cheapest?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

10 REPLIES 10
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: SSD prices

Fix

I have only ever bought Crucial SSD drives and find them to be reliable. The BX500 is available for £37.19 from Crucial.

I wont buy a brand name that I didn't know.

The prices vary because of the type of memory in the SSD and the size of the RAM cache too.

Cheaper means slower memory, less RAM cache.

More at https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/ssd-buying-guide,review-34331.html

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Certainly agree with @SpendLessTime

I have a Samsung evo 840 in a desk top which has been fine, moved that to a second desktop a got a Samsung evo 860.

Very interesting to read the differences between the 2. Seems that speed is no better but due to the design of the evo 860 it is claimed that it will last twice as long as the evo 840.

How accurate that is or why they claim that I am not sure but I have had no problems with either.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Just to put a different slant on it, I have just upgraded a relatives PC by replacing the HDD with a SSD. The PC is quite old and only has SATA 2 capable interfaces. Consequently there was no point in buying the fastest SSD as data transfer would be bottlenecked through this interface. I have spent £51 on a SanDisk 480GB SSD which has transformed the performance in relative terms. Hopefully it will survive until it's time to upgrade to a more modern PC.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Mav
Fixes: 514

I have 3 OCZ SSDs in my PC (60GB, 100GB and 240GB).

The 60GB has the OS on it and has been working reliably since March 2012.

The 100GB is a year younger and the 240GB is about 3 years old.

I understand that OCZ is owned by Toshiba.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

VileReynard
Hero

Well my donated laptop presently has a 1TB hard disk in it - but it appears to have suffered damage in the low-numbered sectors. Sad

I think those OCZ SSD's are/were a high-performance high-price model - at least the ones on Amazon claim to be (and are quite pricey).

So I shall be looking at the cheap(er) end of things - I've still to prove that I can open up a laptop without breaking it.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

A good list of SSDs with latest pricing can be found https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/products/internal-hard-drive/#X=0,16078&sort=price&t=0

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
VileReynard
Hero

That tells you everything you need to know. Thumbs_Up

Bookmarked!

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@VileReynard wrote:'ve still to prove that I can open up a laptop without breaking it.

Check out You Tube...for your laptop model....  there may be a video guide you can use...

VileReynard
Hero

There is a video - its a common type of laptop.

But I'm used to desktops - 4 screws max & you're in - no wrenching of fragile bits of plastic!

VileReynard
Hero

I've had a cold - which was why I was putting this off - but the laptop is in two pieces now.

I've learned a lot:-

1. Laptops seem to use Phillips screws (not pozidrive) which I blame the Americans for.

So I bought (for about £3 - from India) Roll_eyes a set of assorted hex screw bits supplied with a magnetic driver. This turned out OK - except nobody seems to classify screws properly any more - a diameter in mm would be really useful. Instead I get size #0 or #00 which is rubbish.

2. An old knock-tab from a PC slot makes an excellent lever to separate the halves of a laptop case.

3. The hard drive is actually writeable - I've installed Linux on it - except that the boot sectors are unreadable. I can create partitions and format them - so I'm guessing the GPT info is OK - although possibily it would make sense for a laptop to store the GPT in the BIOS? It's only a user extension of the EFI anyway.

4. The HD has standard size SATA power/data connectors on it - but I also had to remove the DVD (which never gets used) for some reason this has a slimline SATA connector (according to Wikipedia).

5. Following @SpendLessTime's excellent list at https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/products/internal-hard-drive/#X=0,16078&sort=price&t=0
I've gone for a "240GB Kingston A400" on the grounds of least cost + Kingston have been selling various kinds of flash memory for a long time.

We shall see.

Thanks to all contributors...Smiley