cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SRS HD TruSurround system for someone on a budget (what would you recomend) ??

TORPC
Grafter

SRS HD TruSurround system for someone on a budget (what would you recomend) ??

It is for my oldest daughter(s) Kogan HDTV which she is taking with her in to her 1st place with her Boyfriend
Their combined budget is approx £70, although i'll most likely be nagged asked to chip in  Lips_are_sealed
11 REPLIES 11
picbits
Rising Star

Re: SRS HD TruSurround system for someone on a budget (what would you recomend) ??

The question is, does the television have ARC and/or an Optical Toslink output ?
If it has a Toslink then have a look on eBay for a set of Yamaha 5.1 surround speakers with sub (around £30-£40 secondhand)  and a 5.1 receiver (£30-£50) - you can pick up a non HDMI Yamaha / Pioneer / Sony for that kind of money.
If it has an ARC, you can use the more modern Receivers but they will cost you almost double those without the HDMI switching / audio extraction.
TORPC
Grafter

Re: SRS HD TruSurround system for someone on a budget (what would you recomend) ??

Don't know about the ARC &/Or Optical Toslink output (Doubt it has tbh)
I know it definitely has SPDIF / PCM,
Will see if I can get the full specs online as they dont supply a physical user manual (Company green, they are)
picbits
Rising Star

Most of the older AV receivers have both Toslink and Coax (Spdif) so you should be fairly safe with those.
I've got a top end Yamaha RX-V767 which is being fed by the telly via Toslink. The HDMI ports are dead on the receiver so I've gone this route.
Can't complain for £25 plus another £25 for the speakers Wink
TORPC
Grafter

Looking on http://www.kogan.com/usermanuals/ (sadly they do not list her TV's Manual)
I think she might have a copy on her laptop (will ask her when she gets in)
Here is a pic of her connections

picbits
Rising Star

Hmm the "COAX" may well be for the spdif - in which case any half decent secondhand receiver will give her a good head start.
TORPC
Grafter

The full Specs as emailed to me

Model Number: KULED26YAA
Panel Size (Diagonal): 26"/66.1cm
Panel Viewable: 26"/66.1cm
Panel Type: Widescreen HD TFT-LED (Edge lit LED LCD panel)
Panel Response Time: 8ms
Panel Refresh Rate: 50/60Hz
Tuner: Integrated Digital Tuner
TV System: PAL/SECAM
Native Panel Resolution: 1366 x 768 (High Definition)
Native Panel Aspect Ratio: 16:9 Widescreen
Aspect Ratios Supported: Panorama, 16:9, Letterbox 4:3, Auto
Signal Compatibility: 480i, 576i, 480p, 576p, 720p, 1080i
Colours: 16.2 million max.
Computer Supported Resolutions: 640x480 @ 60Hz, 800x600 @ 60Hz, 1024x768 @ 60Hz, 1366X768 @ 60Hz
Actual Contrast Ratio: 800:1 (ANSI)
Dynamic Contrast Ratio: 8,000:1
Brightness: 330 cd/m²
Viewable Angle: 160o (Horizontal) × 150o (Vertical)
Pixel/Dot Pitch: 0.4215mm (H) × 1.2645mm (V)
3D Comb Filter: Yes
Parental Lock: Yes
Inputs
HDMI®: 3
VGA (D-sub): 1
Component (YPbPr): 1
Common Interface: 1
Audio In: 2
USB: 1
SCART: 1
AV (Composite): 1
Antenna In: 1
Outputs
Headphone Out: 1
Other
Speaker System: Built-In: 2 x 3W Speakers
Power Consumption:
Average: < 55W
Standby: < 0.5W
Energy Consumption (kWh per year): 54
Dimensions of TV without Stand (approx): W:64.7cm x D:5.0cm x H:42.0cm
Dimensions of TV with Stand (approx): W:64.7cm x D:18.0cm x H:46.1cm
Dimensions of Box (approx): W:73.0cm x D:13.0cm x H:50.5cm
Weight of TV with Stand (approx): 6.5kg
Weight of TV in Box (approx): 7.8kg
TV Stand: Standard
Wall Mount Hole Pattern: 200mm x 100mm
Wall Mount Screw Size: Metric M4
Side Buttons: Source, Menu, Channel +/-, Volume +/-, Power
Television Depth (approx): Thickest: 5.0cm Thinnest: 2.5cm
DVD
Built-In DVD Drive: No
USB:
Supported Formats (USB):
AVI (MPEG - 1/2/4 and divx 4 coded) and MP4 (MPEG - 1/2/4 and divx 4 coded), MP3, WMA, JPEG, BMP
Supported USB Devices: Powered External Drives up to 1TB
PVR:
Built-in PVR Function:
Yes (through USB input)
Timeshift: Yes
EPG: Yes
What's In The Box:
26" HD LED TV with DVD Player & PVR
Power Cable
Kogan Remote Control
picbits
Rising Star

Hmm no mention of spdif.
However if the worst came to the worst, you could plug the amp into the headphone socket - not ideal but I've run televisions through amps with no issues before.
TORPC
Grafter

When I mentioned the SPDIF I saw that on the screen menu prior to posting

picbits
Rising Star

Personally I'd buy the cheap used receiver (making sure it has both coax/spdif and toslink inputs)
Hook it up to the telly via the coax - see if it works. If it does, great, if is doesn't use the headphone socket of the telly into the line in of the receiver.
With everyone moving to HDMI based receivers these days, the older generation can be picked up at bargain prices.
TORPC
Grafter

Cheers DomS
In regards to the Common Interface
Have you ever come across anything the end user would be able to make use of it ?Huh

Edit:
[quote=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Interface]Common Interface
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Various components of Conditional Access
Common Interface scheme
DVB-Receiver with Common Interface module
In Digital Video Broadcasting, the Common Interface is a technology which allows separation of conditional access functionality from a digital TV receiver-decoder (Host) into a removable conditional-access module (CAM). It is also referenced as DVB-CI for Digital Video Broadcast - Common Interface. The host is responsible for tuning to pay TV channels and demodulation of the RF signal, while CAM is responsible for CA descrambling. The Common Interface allows them to communicate with each other.
The Common Interface can be used for pay-to-view TV; A module is used to interface between the pay-to-view card and the TV or device. This allows manufacturers to install a single (common) interface into their devices rather than many. It is a similar concept to USB.
picbits
Rising Star

Nope Tongue