cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SOLVED: My dongle won't install properly.

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

SOLVED: My dongle won't install properly.

I got a 3 dongle which I today decided to install on the main desktop computer as it needs internet access and it has a wifi AP so it can share its internet. Installer keeps stopping half way through installing and just hanging.
Uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled, uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled, uninstalled, rebooted.... etc
So.. uninstalled from my netbook and reinstalled with no problem at all.
What could cause it to hang on my desktop PC? - The OS is less cluttered than my netbook (IE it has no OEM OS and bundled software like my netbook does).
It's really annoying me because while sounding paranoid its almost as if the gods are determined to stop me using that computer online for some reason (PN not being overly helpful recently). I'm totally fed up.
I can still get online with the dongle on my netbook but can't share the connection for the SO to use.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
9 REPLIES 9
gadfly
Grafter

Re: My dongle won't install properly.

Which versions of Windows are the desktop and netbook using?
Perhaps you should visit the wireless dongle's website to find out if there are any patches for the version of Windows that desktop uses.
Perhaps you can download the driver for that version of Windows. Using it might work when the supplied driver didn't.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: okrzynska
Quote from: ReedRichards
I've frequently complimented 3's mobile BB on this forum.

I'm on another forum that sees frequent post from people experiencing problems with the dongles 3 supply for their mobile broadband.  I get the impression their technical support isn't so good, should you ever need to use it. 

See for once I've had little problems. Normally I'm pretty unlucky with things I buy but my dongle has never been anything but brilliant. I don't live in a built up area though so I probably get better coverage than most in flats etc. If I'm honest I've been really pleased with mine (I'm using it now actually to write this cos I can't get connected to PN via the router - although our phone number changes in about 1/2hr so that might be why). It's been far more reliable than PN and I've only ever had 2 occassions when I couldn't connect. Yes their tech support is a bit [Censored] but so is Yahoo's - you can't speak to anyone and when you can they're useless. When the service works you don't need them much anyway.

Famous last words, okrzynska?
7up
Community Veteran

Trying to haunt me or something Reed?
See the dongle is fine. I'm using again now but on my netbook. What I can't do is use it on my desktop PC for some odd reason.
I did come across a clue though, after googling for the 4th or 5th time with the dongle model number it seems that others have had the same problem with VMware products installed - mainly the VMServer. I've got the player installed but apparently the VM system can inhibit the installation process.
I can't say yet whether that is the cause as i now have a broken cpu fan on the desktop pc (got frustrated, decided to clean out the CPU fan and heatsink and it didn't go back together smoothly - more bad luck which has been hanging over me a lot lately).
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Trying to haunt me or something Reed?

Not me, personally.  I just remembered the confident assertion you made so recently on another thread and wondered if those words were coming back to haunt you?
See the dongle is fine. ...

Well you proved that the hardware is fine but the software is not.
I did come across a clue though, after googling for the 4th or 5th time with the dongle model number it seems that others have had the same problem with VMware products installed - mainly the VMServer. I've got the player installed but apparently the VM system can inhibit the installation process.

I have read this also (in connection to a HUAWEI - E122).  I think uninstalling the VMware player is well worth a try.
Not applicable

These things are terribly frustrating so I hope that you can soon sort it.  RR has a phenomenal memory to recall that post!  Wish mine was as good.  Sad
7up
Community Veteran

Quote from: ReedRichards
I have read this also (in connection to a HUAWEI - E122).  I think uninstalling the VMware player is well worth a try.

Mine is the E1550 which performs flawlessly as long as I can get it installed. Rarely loses signal, always gives me a full 5 bars of HSDPA and generally gives me little greif.
I've known a few other people use 3 dongles though which wern't the same as mine and they complained terribly about the connection and speeds even when using the same spot on the same table as mine. Must be some sort of difference between the models as I'm not lucky enough to have a good one so I must of stumbled onto the Volvo of dongles.
7up
Community Veteran

Re: SOLVED: My dongle won't install properly.

Well I uninstalled VMWare player and it installed and now works.
Must be something to do with the VMPlayers usb and network adapters. Somewhat annoying as now I need to setup another machine to run my VMs but at least I can now use the dongle.
Not applicable

It must have been really bothering you to be fixing it at 1.17 a.m.  Roll_eyes
Well done and am glad that you sorted it.  I know from experience how these things bug one and the sense of relief when all comes right again.
7up
Community Veteran

Cheers poppy Wink
I'd not been well at the original time of starting this thread and so didn't touch the dongle again for a while. Only yesterday did I convince myself that it was the right time to get rid of VMware and see if it makes any difference.
I'm glad to say it did!