Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SM Bus Controller

hulls
Grafter

SM Bus Controller

Hi
My device manager is showing an error with the SM Bus Controller.  I'm on Win XP SP3. I've tried to restore to earlier today, but for all I know it's been like that for ages.  Everything seems to be running ok.  Is there anything I can do?
John
11 REPLIES 11
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: SM Bus Controller

You could uninstall it and restart the computer so that Windows plug and play re-installs it again. 
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I wouldn't worry about it, that's pretty common and doesn't cause any problems.
To tidy it up probably needs a driver from the motherboard manufacturer that you should find on their support web site.
Is it a branded system, if so what?
hulls
Grafter

Thanks for the responses.  I tried uninstalling and restarting, but the system couldn't find the driver.  The computer is an eMachines system, but I can't remember the actual model number.  Everything seems to be working ok.
John
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Emachines provides automatic update software on their support web site which should be able to detect your model and provide any necessary updates.
hulls
Grafter

Hi
I went to the eMachines site and downloaded the Intel chipset  update, but no good - actually it came up with a message saying that it couldn't access the files, and then copied some files anyway.  But it doesn't seem to have made a difference.
I sort of feel that, since the computer seems to be running ok without it, maybe i should just leave well enough alone, but then, if it's not needed, why have it?
John
CX
Grafter

A lot of the time, these devices don't require drivers per-se, just a dummy 'driver', and so the system performs the same whether or not it is installed.
hulls
Grafter

Thanks CX23882. That's the message that comes up, when I try to look at the driver. I.E. this device not have a driver installed and does not need one.  In which case, why does it show an error state?
But you're right, the computer seems to be operating fine without it.
John
CX
Grafter

You may be able to identify what driver it needs.
Double-click on it in Device Manager to view the Properties and then look at the Details tab. In the drop-down box that appears at the top, select Hardware Ids. Right-click on the top one and choose copy and then paste it here. It will look like:
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27DA&SUBSYS_81791043&REV_01
hulls
Grafter

Hi it has this:
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4372&SUBSYS_71731462&REV_82
John
CX
Grafter

That's ATI/AMD's VendorID.
You need the ATI South Bridge driver (11-5_xp32-64_sb.exe) from this page:
http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/integrated_xp-32.aspx#3
Don't bother with any of the RAID drivers from that page.
hulls
Grafter

Thanks  Smiley
That fixed it.
John