Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SD Card problem

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: SD Card problem

@penneck   It`s a while since I used it..... but if I recall... after it did a scan, to see what files were, and what state they are in, it produced a long list, with "traffic lights" on the right hand column,.... so that Green light would mean it was recoverable, Yellow would mean, possible or partial recovery and Red would mean not able to recover.

Maybe there is a "menu" or some kind of guide to "proceed" somewhere....

shutter
Community Veteran

@penneck  Just installed the free version on my Virtual Box... ( it would not install on Linux Mint through WINE)..

then I put some pics on a usb stick, and asked it to search for pictures only  in all the computer.. 

here is the final page , or result of the scan,  ( part only, to show some green and some red traffic light files,)

RECUVA RESULT.png

If you did not get a page like that at the end,... then I don`t know what you have/have not done !... you did check to make sure it was the FREE version with "no support"  ?? 

penneck
Aspiring Pro

@shutter  It didn't produce a long list for me, just a single mp3 file it called 'Brett5000 - Globalisation'. There weren't any traffic lights.

The Recovery button allowed me to select where I could store this file, which I did. Having done so, I tried running this mp3 file, but it was just a view of what looks like a rock music LP cover, and a rock tune that lasts about 20 seconds.

I'm running Recuva again. It is still saying it has found 285 files, but it looks like it is going to be another 5 hour job to get to the end, so finish about 01:00.

When should I use the 'Options' button, assuming I should use it?

shutter
Community Veteran

@penneck  Here is a series of progressive pics.... this is a very short scan... as there is nothing much on the Virutal Box..

Not sure what the "options" is...

Just had a thought...the scan refers to "scanning for DELETED files...  so maybe this is not the program for your purpose...unless the files were deleted..

recuva 001.png

next window... choose which type of file  e.g. if you only want picture files.... it will be a quicker search than "all files"

recuva 002.png

Give it a clue, where to search ! ! ! !

recuva 003.png

DEEP SCAN... will take a very long time.... so leave it clear...

recuva 004.png

Scanning process........

recuva 005.png

recuva 06.png

recuva 007.png

RECUVA RESULT.png

penneck
Aspiring Pro

@shutter On my second go at running Recuva, I noticed the Wizard (see your first pic in your series of pics) said "If you don't want to use this Wizard, simply press Cancel", which this time I did. That gave me a view that was like your last pic (the resulting list), without the list being filled in, and with Options in the position just above the righthand side of the list (there is something else there in your pic but I cannot read in your pic what it says). I had started the second scan at this point, but while it was running I Googled for advice on running Recuva. The instruction was simple, don't use the Wizard, use the Options to select Not Deleted, and then scan. I cancelled the second scan, then went into Options. The Options button brings up a set of dropdown menus, where I ticked the 'not deleted' position. I got a list of all the files my son wanted recovered in just a few seconds. He is here so he was able to select those he wanted and I used the Recovery button to copy them to my external hard drive.

Problem solved. Thanks to you and all the others for your help. Have a good weekend

shutter
Community Veteran

@penneck   OK... well  thanks to you... I have learned something about that prog too ! 

Glad you got it all sorted.. and easy too  ? ?   

Wink

Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

@shutter 

Thanks for the introduction to Recuva, it looks like a really useful tool.

I shall note it in my little black book in case I have need of it.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Well thanks to @penneck and for posting back how you got on. @shutter too for the advice.

Hopefully it will help others in the same situation. It makes you learn things - it could happen to me. I was using my digital SLR camera at the weekend as was away (it is a nice bit of kit) that has a 128Gb SDXC card in it.

Like any IT problem I suppose you just have to hope for the best and cross that bridge if you come to it.

(Sorry for the n tag, no idea how that got there - can't even see it in the source).

EDIT: I think I see what I did now and is there any way I can remove it? You'd think the forum software would allow someone who wrote the post had the permissions and ability to remove it. Though this is Lithium so I suppose anything is possible.

EDIT 2: Ah I see it has gone now I deleted it. Cool.

penneck
Aspiring Pro

@Alex  @shutter  @idonno The state-of-play is that we have been able to recover a number of photos from the SD card, but latest run of Recuva (this time doing a deep search) found a few more files but couldn't recover any. My son tells me there are a number of photos and videos of his kids that are still lost. They may still be in his phone memory rather than the SD card, though the phone doesn't say so - can they be there but not be there, as some of them were in the SD card? I don't know if SIM cards hold data using a similar storage method as SD cards do.

I know I can connect my phone to my pc through a USB2 port, but I don't know if I can access the memory in it using the same port and running Recuva. I'm a bit cautious of trying it, just in case. Therefore, I don't know if I can attempt to recover any files from my son's phone. Have any of you tried accessing your SIM card memory in your phone from your pc?

shutter
Community Veteran

When I connect my phone to my laptop.. it shows up as a "new" drive.... i.e  E/:(or whatever the next drive letter is ) .    and you should be able to see any files or folders.

I have transferred some of my music vids to the phone in this manner using straightfrorward Copy & Paste

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@penneck It is as @shutter says. It will appear as a new drive. I do know on my phone I actually have to give it permission to connect to the PC for file transfers and the like via the USB link.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
penneck
Aspiring Pro

@idonno @shutter . Thanks. What I need to do now is get my son's phone for a few hours. That may take a few days because often my son goes off to work very early (he needs his phone for that), and doesn't get back here until very late.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@penneck 

I'm no phone expert but I'm pretty sure the files you're looking for won't be on the SIM, they may possibly be in the phones memory.  However, any further usage (i.e. writing to) of the phones memory, or for that matter any device which you are trying to recover lost or deleted files from, will reduce your chances even further.