cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SATA conections

dgk
Grafter

SATA conections

My PC has a 256 GB SSD and a one TB conventional hard drive. The operating system and programs I use frequently of all installed on the SSD which is now become full. Easiest solution seems to be to buy a new SSD.

My motherboard (gigabyte GA-*87-HD3) has 6 SATA  connections, the existing SSD is connected to the one numbered “ 0” the 1TB hard drive is connected to number”1” and my DVD is connected to number”2”.

Would I just connect the new SSD to motherboard connection number 3 ?

Whilst I have the PC open I’m also going to fit a PCI bracket connector with an eSATA external port to use with my external hard drive, does it matter which number this connection is made to?

5 REPLIES 5
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

Re: SATA conections

It won't matter which connections you use, infact you can change them around completely and as long as you have no faulty ports it'll all work fine, your computer uses the hardware ID of the drives to determine what they are rather than which port they are in.

To add the new drive, just pop it in, boot up, format the drive if needed and away you go

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

if you are going to move the operating system to the new SSD it becomes rather more tricky as you would need to clone it then tell the bios which drive to use first

Once everything is up and running try disconnecting the old SSD and see if everything is still OK before doing anything else

dgk
Grafter

My existing SSD is the Samsung 840 pro 256 GB and I was thinking of buying another one the same. The intention would be an to move one of the programs from my existing C drive onto the new drive, thereby creating some space and then use the new drive for any new programs that I might want to install. So I would not need to move the operating system.

Although I did wonder about moving the operating system onto the new SSD due to the fact that it is new and therefore less likely to fail. In fact I think the new ones come with a 10 year warranty, and the old one is about two years old now, but it seems to be too much of an effort!

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

get a bigger ssd, you can pick up 480GB+ sized drives now for less than the 840's cost new, also 840's in new condition are hard to come by since Samsung moved on to 850's

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
dgk
Grafter

Slight error in my above post It is the 850 PRO I am thinking of getting,