Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SATA Hard Drive

Wuz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

SATA Hard Drive

Dear all,
My Samsung SATA hard drive SP0812C started sounding strange so I ran a test (forget which) which reported its health as 1% Bought a replacement on ebay but got a SP0842N by my mistake so got an Western Digital external Hard drive and used Acronis to back everything up to that.
Bought another SP0812C on ebay and just before it arrived  the CMOS battery went.
I  replaced it but didn't reset the CMOS jumpers as I now know you should! The motherboard is an AOpen i865.
It didn't recognise the new SP0812C or the old one or both. Both are in there and I don''t know which is the old or new!!
I cleared the CMOS and did it all again to no avail with each of the disks.
So I changed the ide SP0842N  jumpers to make it master and managed to get all except Thunderbird email and addresses and Aconis DIsk Director Suite from the external drive after a struggle.
The Phoenix Award Bios 6.00 shows on-chip Serial ATA set as "Auto" Below that it states
x Serial ATA port0 mode SATA1 master
    Serial ATA port1 mode SATA2  master
Incidently the clock went back to 1/1/2003 when I went into setup and out again without saving a minute ago so maybe it never needed a battery!
Any idea how I get a SATA to work or is it likely to be as dead as the two front USB sockets. I bought it second hand and the bloke that had it built told me the builder couldn't get the front USBs to work.
Wuz
12 REPLIES 12
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: SATA Hard Drive

ncidently the clock went back to 1/1/2003 when I went into setup and out again without saving a minute ago so maybe it never needed a battery!

thats a sure indication it did, or did you reset it after the battery change?  any way its looks like the Bios is at factory default
MuppetGrinder
Grafter

As far as I know there is no need for a battery in modern cmos systems other than to keep the clock at the right time, as the settings are all stored in EPROM.  I may have got the wrong end of the stick on that one though, but I know I have pulled the battery on a few Mo'Bo's and the cmos settings have still been kept after I put it back in.  Sata Drives are normaly (if not always) controled by an independant controler that runs after the cmos setup.  What does the controler tell you when you go into that?
Wuz
Rising Star

MuppetGrinder,
If it's the two Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers Device Manager in XP says for both "This device is working properly"
Regards
Wuz
MuppetGrinder
Grafter

OK, I missunderstood what was going on, I thought that you couldn't get the disks to work at all.  Are you booting off an IDE to get into windows or are the drives working?
That asside, no, I wasn't talking about the windows SCSI/SATA controler interface properties.  Just after the POST screen where it asks you to press a key to enter setup, and runs the memory check there should be another screen of text flash up saying
(this is just a poor example)
Intel 82801 SATA Device...Raid 0 Configured
Device 1 SATA0 Raid 0
Device 2 SATA1 Raid 0
Press F3 To Run Configuration Utility.
It was the setup in that part that I was reffering to.
Wuz
Rising Star

Evening  MuppetGrinder,
Yes, it boots off the ide. I reinstalled XP from the disk did all the updates etc. a few weeks before Xmas and forgot about it until now.
I have just rebooted and only the ide Samsung  comes up as the screen flashes through.
Wuz.
samuria
Grafter

If they are new drives they will want formating or you wont see them. Look in diskmanger in the admin tools in the control panel and them computer management can you see the drives there? if you can you may have to create a partition and format the drives
Wuz
Rising Star

samuria,
I am afraid neither of them appear in disk manager. It only sees the ide Samsung drive and the W Digital external hard drive.
I have just taken one of the SATA drives out and it was hot had a thought. Is the power connection different as I think I have possibly connected with the wrong one if it is possible. I have connected it on the far left with a white but remember a picture of the power being the thin black one beside the SATA lead. Could I have fried them. Will take side of the casing in daylight.
Wuz
Wuz
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Some SATA drives have just a SATA power connector, others have both that and the older "molex" 4-pin type.
Wuz
Rising Star

HPsauce,
The connection was wrong and the is now working. However the registry on the ide drive got corrupted and could not be recovered via safe mode or last known working and aconis boot CD didn't work! I had unseated the video card and then rebooted wondering why nothing was happening. Had eventually to reinstal XP on the IDE drive currently all the upgrades are loading.
Tomorrow will have to see if I can recover firefox and Thunderbird.
I have never sucessfully recovered Outlook or Thunderbird from a backup. They are on both internal hard drives and the external Hard Drive.
I think I will reinstal Acronis first
Wuz

MuppetGrinder
Grafter

Wuz you might want to take a look at www.recovermyfiles.com
I don't know exactly what you get to do with the download version, but I use the retail at work and I'll tell you for nothing it has been a lifesaver on more than one occasion.
samuria
Grafter

How have you backed up thunderbird etc ? For thunderbird and firefox you should use
http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/ as its specially for backing up this software useful for the future
Wuz
Rising Star

Thanks all,
I have now got overkill. Three internal harddrives and one external! Have to remember which of the two hard drives was reported as failing. It was before Xmas and I can't remember what the program was!
Manually recovered everything except Thunderbird inbox. Have had a few attempts but will try again tomorrow.
Not enough to recover to make it worthwhile using a professional recovery program but will use the site suggested by Oldjim as I have always found email progs the most prone to losing stuff. Spent many an unhappy hour trying to rebuild Outlook 98 in the past!!
Many thanks,
Wuz