Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SATA Drives

jono
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 7

SATA Drives

Hi, I fitted a new hard drive the other day as a back up drive and to run my Documents from, I've always done this but never with SATA drives, I fitted the cable to the next one down from the drive already fitted on the Motherboard, It has 4 connectors on the motherboard. I have read in the specs supplied through using my Hardware diagnostics software that both are Master, where as all the other drives I've used were IDE and had to have master and Slave.
Not being up with SATA drives could someone advise is this right, i have a feeling it is right but thought I would ask for future reference.
regards
jono
3 REPLIES 3
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: SATA Drives

SATA has no concept of master/slave as each drive has its own data connector. By 4 connectors do you mean 4 SATA connectors or 2 SATA and 2 IDE?
The reason IDE needed a master/slave indicator is each ribbon cable had up to 2 drives connected so it needed a way to identify them separately i.e. Master & slave.
jono
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 7

Hi, I've checked and it states 4 SATA connector's, they have different colours and labeled Sata 1 sata2 on so on.
regards and thanks for the info
jono
samuria
Grafter

If it work ok then you are fine some SATA controllers have different colors as some are for RAID