Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAT-NAV info please

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

SAT-NAV info please

Never really needed one in my 50 years of driving, so not been "that" interested in getting one.... I am good at reading maps, writing down a route if needed, and even using my "inbuilt" sense of direction, if I get off the intended route....
What I am really looking for, is a cheap sat nav, that will give me "traffic holdups" and an alternate route, before I get snagged in the hold-up.... I use the A34 between Winchester and Oxford, quite regularly, and know all the "by-pass" routes if I consider there might be "something ahead" that could hold me up... however.. some stretches can be a long way between "get off" points... and if the hold up is not in sight, then it could be hours before it clears.... Fortunately, I have not been in this situation.....YET...
So, any suggestions for me, with the above in mind... ?
18 REPLIES 18
picbits
Rising Star

Re: SAT-NAV info please

Worth looking at the Nokia Lumia phones if you can also get a cheap contract with a small amount of data. I use my Nokia primarily as a satnav and I'm pretty sure it can do live traffic updates via the data (but worth double checking before committing to it !)
Oh and you can use it as a phone / camera / calculator too  Grin
Some good advice here though : http://www.argos.co.uk/static/BuyingGuide/bgTrail/sat_nav_00075.htm
http://www.which.co.uk/technology/computing/guides/sat-nav-live-traffic/
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Quote from: DomS
Worth looking at the Nokia Lumia phones if you can also get a cheap contract with a small amount of data.

Or a cheap Android. Moto E or G for example.
shutter
Community Veteran

Hmm.... Not wanting to be tied to a monthly phone contract, as I don`t use the mobile phone very much at all.... ( currently got a PAYG Tesco phone on T-Mobile.. still got £8.00 left from before christmas top up ! )..
So looking for a basic sat-nav, as mentioned, with the traffic update.... tried to look on e-bay for 2nd hand, but don`t really know what I am looking at......  Undecided
picbits
Rising Star

It appears (from a little research) that the standalone Satnavs can get live traffic info in three ways.
1. Built in Sim - updates regularly but much more expensive - also may need a subscription
2. Through the TMC updates over the air - around once every 15 minutes
3. Through your mobile phone via Bluetooth ? Could be costly unless you have data included in your plan. Updates every couple of minutes if what I have read is correct.
Whichever way, "up to date", cheap and satnav don't appear to be compatible in the same sentence Sad
For reference, I pay £6 a month all in for my phone, unlimited texts, 250Mb data and 500 minutes of talk time. Phone was "free" on a 24 month contract but I tend to keep my phones for years anyway  Grin
picbits
Rising Star

Just stumbled on this - probably explains things better than I can Smiley
http://www.filesaveas.com/tomtomtraffic.html
shutter
Community Veteran

@DomS...... Thanks very  much for your research.... I did do a "google" to see if I could come up with some information, and you have confirmed my suspicions, that what I am looking for is not available.... Your phone charge of £6 per month sounds cheap enough... but again... as mentioned, I hardly use the phone, and comparing yours and mine for 12 months I would be at least £55 out of pocket at the end of the year ! ! ! ....
The advantage of having the traffic info, for my fortnightly journey up and down the A34 would not be cost effective.... !... so looks like I shall have to start my journey`s with the prayer mat and hope for the best whilst en-route. !...
Once again... Thanks very much..  Wink
nadger
Rising Star

Does your HUDL have gps? - I've got NavFree app installed on Nexus7 and KTE android phone.
shutter
Community Veteran

My "imitation" hudl, ! doesn`t have gps.... that is not the problem... I am very "savvy" as to my location in the u.k. when out and about on the roads.... and my knowledge of local diversions when on set routes is very good, so actually finding my way around from A to B via c, d and e, is no problem... I usually do it "in my head"... rarely consulting a map... the problem is, when something "up front" e.g traffic jam/accident/unexpected road closure/diversion causing a huge tailback.... I don`t want to be a part of that queue, and the traffic info part of a sat nav would be very useful in that situation.
having it on the dash giving out clear routes could make the difference between turning off before  getting stuck... a couple of occasions I have "just passed" where I "could" have made alternate route ( in my head )... but too late ..(100 yards round the next bend).... . I`m in a long queue for the next 3 or 4 miles ( mostly due to amount of traffic slowing down for some unknown reason... as when I get to the next bit of "free " road, there is no sign as to what the hold up was...
Mav
Fixes: 515

Does your car radio have RDS with TA (Traffic Announcement)? I haven't used it for a few years but it used to be very useful.
Like you, shutter, I can look up a destination on a map and have a good idea of a route to take without resorting to SatNav. I tell people I simply follow my instinct and nose Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

shutter
Community Veteran

My car radio doesn`t work... I took it out, and installed a special amplifier for my MP4 player! ! ! ...
Yeah.. Instinct... or "HAP - NAV" as I call it....  ( Hope and Pray ) !  Grin Grin Grin
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I've used Sat-Nav for quite some time now using a dedicated device in the early days and currently my phone and Google Maps.
Before Sat-Nav I used to write down a route, stick it on the dash and follow it.
The problem came with road works.
Once off my designated route I was lost and had to resort to asking directions...not a male thing Embarrassed
I did have map books but often left them on the kitchen table after plotting and writing down my route for the day, trusting to the "what could possibly go wrong" scenario. Embarrassed
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

I could be wrong about this but I thought sat nav apps for phones and tablets worked via phone masts whereas a dedicated sat nav worked direct from satellites ?
We are born into history and history is born into us.
anniesboy
Rising Star

Before setting out you could check live traffic on http://roadworks.org/
Its not what you are looking for but no cost involved
shutter
Community Veteran

Quote from: anniesboy
Before setting out you could check live traffic on http://roadworks.org/

Yes, indeedy... I use "live traffic" on my laptop, (courtesy of tom tom) ... and check the route...but it is a 2 hour drive, and as we all know,... 2 mins after starting a journey, it can be chaos 100 yards down the road, and no way out of it...!... hence the need for the "live traffic" update.... and because I am a Yokshu Tyke, I am not going to squander money on a phone contract that I don`t really have the need for... just to have a couple of hours traffic info twice a month.... ! ...
Yeah.. us tykes are tight.... with short arms and long trouser pockets... no inside pocket on the jacket or shirt to store the wallet either ! ! ! ....
Cheesy Cheesy