Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ryzen & Linux

FIXED
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Ryzen & Linux

Recently changed a motherboard which included a Ryzen 5 processor, all previous boards had used intel processors.

No problems running Windows 7 or 10 but a big problem with Linux mint 20.....Takes approx 2 minutes to boot and that using a SSD so clearly something is amiss.

Posted several outputs on the Linux mint forum and despite following the suggestions made by several members the problem persists, so to my question.

Is anyone else using a Ryzen processor and Linux without any problems ?

Once it boots up after 2 minutes it does work ok.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
11 REPLIES 11
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Ryzen & Linux

I see you've posted over at the mint forums, that's most likely to be your best source of help.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Mook
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

@gleneagles I don't know if this is relevant to your or not but I found this:

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?p=1773767&sid=5726f55ac72efcf9dbdf257cae0b748e#p1773767 from User trytip  and the obvious recommendation is not to install on super new hardware.

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

@dvorak wrote:
I see you've posted over at the mint forums, that's most likely to be your best source of help.

I agree.

Problem is as you can see is that I have posted the output of terminal commands and they are quite long, virtually meaningless to me but clearly something is wrong....

Only one person so far has suggested a solution by uninstalling things, followed all that but it resulted in no change.

I suspect my only option might be to reinstall mint 20 but no certainty that will solve anything.

I also notice several others have had slow boot problems with Ryzen processors.

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

@Mook 

Thanks, will check that out.

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

I'm running a Ryzen 9 3900X on Mint 19 in a VB without any problems. Although, say that, I hadn't fired it up for a couple of months and there was this huge list of updates. But even after doing all of those, fine. Maybe I'll hold off getting Mint 20 for now or maybe set up another VB just for that version.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

@idonno 

Don’t be put off using Linux mint 20 because of the issues I have had, once the thing eventually boots up it works ok, I am also using a dual boot system with windows......

Ironic that windows boots in 3 - 4 seconds whilst mint takes nearly 2 minutes.

😀

Mook
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

Just out of curiosity @gleneagles is your network configured correctly?

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

@Mook 

Not sure how I would check that....?

All other devices work fine and no problem either uploading or downloading things using mint 20, it just the 2 minute time lag when booting.

I don’t want to post the output from Linux here as it runs to a number of pages but I have posted them on the Linux mint forum and I can see there are numerous errors but other than one person no one has posted a solution....

I am using Linux a fair bit at the moment but once I have completed the main work I am doing then the plan is to delete the Linux partition using windows disk management and then reinstall mint again, to be on the safe side I will download the latest iso in case there was a problem when downloading it previously, unlikely but no point taking a chance.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Have a go with ZORIN15    

https://zorinos.com/download/

and see how quick that is to boot up....  If you want to run any "windows" type applications/software you just download it and click on the  .exe file  and ZORIN15 does the rest for you... ( well you may have to say yes to a couple of things along the way, first time....but hey ... drink your coffee and watch it work for you  ! ! ! ) ...

P.S.... Ultimate   is to be paid for....but    Core  and Lite  are FREEEEEEE  !   

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Fix

Pleased to say I have managed to sort this out.

Downloaded a fresh copy of Linux mint 20 ISO.

Deleted the old version via windows and reclaimed the space for windows prior to installing mint.

Works fine now, or at least working at present so will see how I get on.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I'd suggest that the non-working version was waiting for a device to come online e.g. a required connection to a non-existent NAS (just for example). It needed to wait for a time-out. 😀

I hope an investigation of relevant logs was done.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."