cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rural Broadband

geewizz
Grafter

Rural Broadband

I live in a rural area and it makes me smile when I see people complaining about their broadband being slow because it dips below 3 mega-billions.

Today, I was travelling over the hills in the snow and had to stop to help someone get their car out of a ditch after they overcooked a corner. The lambs skipped across the snow to come and see what was going on. A pair of ospreys circled overhead.
Meanwhie, back at home, my PC was downloading email and a tv program over an ADSL connection to the interwebby thing. It might not be the fastest connection in the world but it's twice the speed I had last year and 10 times the speed I had a few years ago on the ordinary telephone line. It's almost fast enough to watch streaming video on the BBC i-player without hitches.
I wouldn't trade the benefits of living out in the sticks for a superfast internet connection but it did get me wondering about what the slowest acceptable ADSL speed was. Do ISPs give cheap rates if you can't get above a certain speed on your line?
And who has the slowest recorded ADSL connection? (Answers on a postcard, to arrive no later than Friday.)