cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running out of memory

Mav
Fixes: 514

Running out of memory

Since building my latest PC that has 8GB RAM I am frequently getting the 'low memory' warning as below.
I know that Firefox can eat memory at times and I frequently use Task Manager to 'End Process Tree' and restart it.
I'm quite sure that I am not running any more programs and open windows than I used to when I had only 6GB RAM yet I never got a warning back then.
For an experiment I have just loaded a lot more apps than usual (screen shot 2) and taken a snapshot of Task Manager Processes and Performance. At this point I will say that I haven't received the warning but I could have half those apps running and I will get it Sad
I think FF can be part of the cause: as I type I can see its memory usage creep up and it's now at around 536000 from what it was at the snapshot below a few minutes ago.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

23 REPLIES 23
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Running out of memory

Vegas100 is grabbing quite a chunk of memory. Would that be Sony Vegas Pro software?
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Mav

Quote from: Strat
Vegas100 is grabbing quite a chunk of memory. Would that be Sony Vegas Pro software?

Yes. Vegas Pro 10 64.
But I have had this memory issue when not even running Vegas Sad

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Try looking at processes for all users
Also a search for Vegas Pro low memory throws up a lot of reports and even mentions that closing it leaves some memory hogging processes running
What is your free disk space like and are you running a 64 bit or 32 bit version
Mav

Thanks Oldjim but there is only one user on my PC, me Smiley Can't blame anyone else Wink

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

You might be surprised what it reveals though Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Mav

The only extra processes taking any substantial memory are:
audiodg.exe 190.956
svchost.exe  73,898
svchost.exe  56,000

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Does it become necessary to end Firefox from task manager? Can't you close it normally? If you go to about:memory in Firefox, there's a "Minimize memory usage" button at the bottom.
Mav

It's not necessary to use the task manager but as I often have 2 or 3 windows open each with multiple tabs I used to find that when I want to re-open only the last window closed would have all the tabs restored. Perhaps that has changed now?
Can't find that Minimize memory usage button, though Huh I'm running the latest version.

Waldo
Grafter

Quote from: Mav
Can't find that Minimize memory usage button, though Huh I'm running the latest version.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Have you gone in to the right thing in Firefox?
Quote from: ejs
If you go to about:memory in Firefox, there's a "Minimize memory usage" button at the bottom.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Mav

Found it Smiley

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

i would be looking at what programs you have that auto-run in the background , sometimes there are loads that start with windows you dont need but still eat at your memory .
have you tried " RUN " type in MSCONFIG   in  services ,  click Hide all Microsoft , have a look see whats running you dont need ,  then check Startup tab see whats there as well you can stop from running  Wink
or you can try this little program very helpful to see whats in the background http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx  Cool  
PS also check free space on Hard drive &  defragment  if needed
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
GrahamC
Grafter

This error is usually given when you have exhausted Virtual Memory. Have a check of your Page File setup and make sure it's set to System Managed or at least large enough to suit your 8Gb system.
Mav

@rongtw I regularly run msconfig and ensuer there is nothing extra at startup that I don't actually want running.
@GrahamC That's probably it. I set the paging file to zero for the C: (Boot) drive as its an SSD. I have now set a System managed file on one of my other internal drives to see if that helps.