Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running ethernet cable externally

Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

Running ethernet cable externally

To run an Ethernet cable from one side of the house to the other via the outside is there anything particular to consider?
Would it be UV stable for instance? and would Cat5e be sufficient?
8 REPLIES 8
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Running ethernet cable externally

You should use a specifically 'outdoor' grade Cat5e - example: http://www.eland.co.uk/documents/Cat5E%20UTP%20PE%20External%20Cable.pdf
Or, run the cable through a conduit.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Mayfly
All Star

Thought I had replied to you not sure where it went but
Thanks for your input.  Smiley
NedLudd
Grafter

I ran a length of ordinary cable outside and it worked OK for donkeys years. Clipped it to the wall for tidyness but never had a problem.
Geoff,
York.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

True, very often 'indoor' grade cables will last a long time but there's more risk of the outer cable sheath degrading due to UV, rain and frost, 'outdoor' grade cables are better protected against these.  Well clipped cables are less likely to be moved so are a lot less likely to crack when the sheathing becomes a bit brittle.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: w23
often 'indoor' grade cables will last a long time but there's more risk of the outer cable sheath degrading due to UV, rain and frost

True. I had some phone extensions (pre cordless phone days) using CW1308 run outside on exposed (sunlit) walls. They did eventually rot away but lasted 10 to 15 years.
Anonymous
Not applicable

As with all external cables, ensure there is a small downwards loop just before the cable enters the property to allow Rain Water to drip off the cable before entering the wall.
Most BT & SKY Cable Installers etc have this as standard practice.
Have a look next time you go for a walk !!

Also, a neighbour in a previous location, I noticed that their TV / SKY cable across the roof was at an angle to the vertical, the rain water collected & ran down the cable, and soaked the wall where the first clip to the wall was made, quite a large & obvious stain.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: Mayfly
To run an Ethernet cable from one side of the house to the other via the outside is there anything particular to consider?

Have you considered one of these ?
Is this suitable for your needs ?

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Features/Article.asp?TextID=1761&gclid=CIrj3tOzv7gCFTMRtAodtjIADg
Mayfly
All Star

Thanks for all replies.
I did look at home plugs but my ring main is not on the same circuit as the dining room so was unsure if it would work [was later told should] so I bought a WFfi extender and although I can get the pc to connect to it I can't get to connect to the router so it's useless. The Netgear forum couldn't help either they just kept telling me to do what I already had done and Netgear company didn't respond at all.
I'll have another crack at it but feel reluctant to waste more money.
I've had problem this last 6 weeks with lag, high pings and losing connection although the pc 50% of the time shows me connected, mind you I am still getting high pings when testing wired 44-55ms, my laptop is new and I'm wondering if the WiFi adaptor could be the problem. It's a Ralink RT3290 802.11bgn