Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running a Web Server

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Running a Web Server

Watt is the best way to setup a web Server?
1)  Is it best run Windos NT?
2)  or run Windos 2000?
3)  or run Linux?
I am hoping that the University of Teesside will setup the Servers for me.  But if thai can not do it, any help is welcome.  Wink
17 REPLIES 17
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Re: Running a Web Server

I voted windows, but i meant linux -_-
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Any variant of Linux is ideal for running a web server. Many come pre-configured for web, ftp etc.
Colin
Grafter

Depends what you want the Web Server to do...
If you plan on writing your webpages in ASP / ASP.net then I'd recommend Windows. If you plan on doing PHP/Perl/Python/Ruby/Plain HTML then I'd go for Linux.
samuria
Grafter

As with your email server question it depends what you want to do.
For xp try
http://www.tucows.com/preview/300289
Its only just over a meg basic but it may be all you need
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Hi samuria
Quote from: samuria
As with your email server question it depends what you want to do.

I am wanting to set one up because I have a number of web sites that I own or manage for a number of non profit organizacions.  So that I can manage my own sites and there sites as well.
I have a budget of £0.00 but I am willing to spend up to £30.00 for the software.
I have a compaq Proliant 2500R server for this job!   Wink
[Edit]
You can see my servers by going to My Computers. Please note the site is still under construction!    Cheesy
Stonedancer
Dabbler

If your budget is £0 then linux is the way to go. It's software is nearly all free and so is the help if you know where to look. I'm still learning myself but UBUNTU is a really easy to use debian build if you're new to linux. 
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Well it looks like it's goodbye Windos and hello Linux.
Ok watt is the Programs that I will need for the server?
For example I wont:
1) CGI
2) PHP
3) Portal for people to manage there sites.
Thank you all for your help!  Smiley
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

What do you mean by CGI. If you don't know then you probably won't need it. Don't be confused by PlusNets use of CGI (or CCGI), that is just a name they have given their PHP based webserver offering. Apache + php is effectively a cgi capable server.
Most linux distros will come with Apache web server, PHP and some form of FTP server you can connect to the seb server with. You will have to set-up the Apache though as the defaults will point to a standard config which for security reasons you need to change.
As for a portal, that is something you will have to install onto your web server once t is up and runing. See www.hotscripts.com and the php section for some examples.
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Just to reiterate what Peter said, the need to change the default Apache setup is because the defaults are set for a development server style configuration, rather than production "live" server which you need it to be.
For a portal for everyone to manage their web sites, I don't really understand what you mean. Do you mean something like cPanel? http://www.cpanel.net/products/cPanelandWHM/linux/try_cp_whm.htm
cPanel will cost you, but I'm not too sure of an equivelant with all the bells and whistles that cPanel comes with, and it's pretty robust from my knowledge.
Also, you said "Portal for people to manage their sites" - do you mean you are going to be hosting them on your server?
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Quote from: MikeWhitehead
Do you mean something like cPanel?

Yes  Smiley
Also, you said "Portal for people to manage their sites" - do you mean you are going to be hosting them on your server?

Yes.  Wink  As I said before I have a number of web sites that I own or manage for a number of non profit organizacions.  So that I can manage my own sites and there sites as well.  Smiley
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

So you are going to be hosting your own live shared hosting web server?
It would do you the world of good to have a good, long read into web server security and subscribe to the bugtrack mailing lists of all applications that will be installed on your server.
cPanel costs around £1000 for a 1-off license if I remember correctly (that price is off the top of my head), so you may be able to find something similar with a search term of "cpanel clone".
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Quote from: MikeWhitehead
So you are going to be hosting your own live shared hosting web server?

Yes.  Wink
It would do you the world of good to have a good, long read into web server security and subscribe to the bugtrack mailing lists of all applications that will be installed on your server.

I am still hoping that the University of Teesside will setup the Servers for me.
So that I don't need to look at mountains of paper work!  or to put it another way my worst nightmare coming true!  Shocked
cPanel costs around £1000 for a 1-off license if I remember correctly

Well that is out of the question, with me having a budget of £0.00 
Any Free alternative ones?  Wink
seanbranagh
Grafter

I started a similar thread over in Everything internet if that is of any interest to you:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?topic=1104.0
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Hi seanbranagh
Watt Software have you got on your Server?