cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running OpenWRT on the Plusnet Hub One (& BT Home Hub 5a)

core2lee
Grafter

Re: Running OpenWRT on the Plusnet Hub One (& BT Home Hub 5a)

I've not missed any parts in my original guide, at least I don't think so anyway lol Huh

I basically wrote that guide just listing the steps I took the first time I did it, and have followed it many times since without any issues. 

tan159
Dabbler

I am new to WRTing but not linux. However I am getting confused in the last 3 instructions of the flashing. Sorry for being a bit thick.

In this thread first post, after the backup of caldata and then unlocking the bootloader, it says then:-

A)  copy the UIMAGE-INITRAMFS.TAR file to the root directory of the flash drive.

Then plug flashdrive back into the hh5.

B) copy the UIMAGE-INITRAMFS.TAR to /tmp

C) run the file UBIFS-SYSUPGRADE.TAR file

Is this correct because where did the UBIFS-SYSUPGRADE.TAR come from on the flash drive? I see in BIL888 post in message 46 (page4) of this thread that step B should actually be copy the UBIFS-SYSUPGRADE.TAR file which makes more sense. However what happens to the UIMAGE-INITRAMFS.TAR file in step A?

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

The references to UIMAGE-INITRAMFS.TAR in A) and B) are indeed typo errors.  There is no such file ending with '.TAR'.

It should of course be the openwrt ubifs-sysupgrade.tar (or newer LEDE project  .bin) file you copy to USB flash drive, to transfer to the /tmp folder.

Plusnet doesn't permit old posts to be re-edited (such as to correct any errors).

http://openwrt.ebilan.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=145

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
alag20
Grafter

Removed as already replied by Bill above.

tan159
Dabbler

Thanks. Funny how nobody mentioned it before.

I think I am going to stick with the openwrt luci load version as originally in this post (probably the mikeCsmith version. LEDE seems in its infancy still with too many fixes and I need a solid working router/modem.

Besides i am a bit confused on what files to flash for LEDE ie cant see the LEDE*************install-uImage-initramfs file anywhere.

alag20
Grafter

They are almost interchangeable as LEDE was forked recently this year from OPENWRT. Also you can switch from one to another anytime. If you want the LEDE file then you can download from http://openwrt.ebilan.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=145

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

tan159
Dabbler

After successfully flashing openwrt (mikecsmith version) onto the homehub5, I was messing around with settings in the Luci GUI. I was in the setting for lan ports and changed something and now cant even access the router luci webpage.

How can I reset the router?

alag20
Grafter

Can you SSH? That should work.

Alternatively, put a static ip of 192.168.1.2 on your Ethernet and then you should be able to get into router (192.168.1.1).

Ref lash the router from Luci interface and ask it to not keep settings.
tan159
Dabbler

@alag20 wrote:
Can you SSH? That should work.

Alternatively, put a static ip of 192.168.1.2 on your Ethernet and then you should be able to get into router (192.168.1.1).

Ref lash the router from Luci interface and ask it to not keep settings.

Hi tried setting my computer to a static ip 192.168.1.2  subnet 255.255.255.0, lan cable straight to router. I put it in failsafe mode by switching router on and when the green power light started to flash slowly i pressed the reset button a couple of time and the router light chaged to red and flashed very fast. Tried telnet, ssh no joy both in windows or linux.

Edit: Lucky I had setup up wireless access before messing with the lan setting. Restarted router normally then connected to wifi, logged into router Luci and changed the damn lan setting and voila, were back in business.

What worries me is what if it goes [-Censored-] up again for some reason or other/ Anybody had any joy telnetting in failsafe mode in the home hub 5 router?

alag20
Grafter

If it goes belly up then you can simply start all over again using ttl adapter but hopefully it wont.

Dont forget to put a password, control ssh remote etc. If you are using ADSL then depending on OpenWRT / LEDE -you will need to put additional files onto router. Good luck!

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

As far as I am aware, I thought Fail Safe and Factory Reset mode don't work in early builds such as OpenWRT.

Use the newer LEDE squashfs images if you want both of these functions.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
core2lee
Grafter

Yup.. It's almost an embarrassment how many times I messed up the VLAN config when I first flashed this firmware. As above, to my knowledge there is no 'factory reset button', it simply isn't programmed at least in the MikeC version and previous. 

What you can do however is if you re-connect the TTL (ball ache.. I know) you can just console back into it and either correct what you did, or if you really messed it up simply delete the relevant file in /etc/config and reboot and it will restore the original. 

I'm fairly sure however it would be possible to somehow trigger a bash script when you press a button to simply backup the config files, delete them then reboot the router. 

Also, what *should* happen is when the router is booting up (green flashing LED), you should be able to press a button on the router to interrupt. This should then allocate 192.168.1.1 as its IP and allow you to SSH. 

P.s. Apologies for any mistakes in the original post 😕 as I managed to mess up the original account and was unable to recover it I just created this one. 

tan159
Dabbler

Hi was about to throw in the towel after many unsuccessful attempts to connect my hh5a flashed with openwrt (mikeC) to the internet. To a total newbie to openwrt, after i logged into Luci it was like sitting in the cockpit of a large plane.

So many confusing settings!

I am with Sky fibre (fttc) and have managed to get it going. I have not found a single complete guide on the internet so decide to share it here.

- I started by following the guide here.

- After step 2.7, I also added the mac address of my original sky hub/modem to field "" (remember to include the colon : after every 2 digits).

- Remeber to click "Save & Apply" after each entry.

- i just ignored all of step 3 because i was plugging in my telephone line into the rj11 socket of the hh5.

- Then i proceeded to post by bill888. Scroll down his 1st post and download the pdf LEDE for HH5A - Typical Hub Configurations.

Followed instructions in that file starting end of page 5 at "9.1 Quick PPPoE setup using DSL port for VDSL Connection".
However in page 6 in the Protocol field instead of PPPoE I used the option "DHCP client" then saved and moved onto the advanced setting tab.

All other settings were entered up until and including the end of page 8 ptm0.101 settings.

Then simply switched the homehub off the on again and it connected within 1 minute to the internet.

The reason I am posting the results here is because I see a few people followed the guide here to flash openwrt onto their hh5a's but were on Sky broadband.

I want to thank everyone for taking the time to reply and getting me threw this hellish experience but seems worth it in the end.

Mml
Grafter

Hello, please welcome a newbie Smiley

I could use some advice on USB-UART before I fry my board.

Attached is the way I wired up my connection. As you will see, I've connected TX/RX wires to R77/R78 connections on the board. Question is, where's the earth point that I'm supposed to connect my GND and boot_sel2 to?

I've seen the OpenWRT wiki, as well as the OP here, and it was suggested to use the switch on the top of the board. As you'll see on my picture, I'm using this same switch, only the back side of it - these 4 soldering points protruding on the other side. And - when I connect GND and boot_sel2 wires to 2 pins on right side, the modem is booting normally, the boot isn't interrupted. When I use the 2 left pins, the modem won't powerup at all and my PC USB disconnects (hence my suspicion that I'm frying the board and the USB).

Needless to say I get no output in terminal (but there's possibility I've mixed up my TX and RX sides).

So, I'd rather sit here and wait for your advice before I go any further Smiley

jimbof
Grafter

TX and RX on the HH5A need to connect to RX and TX on your USB UART (so TX->RX and RX->TX).

GND is available on the two outer, furthest apart pins of the switch (which are soldered to the switch frame).  Without GND connected properly you are unlikely to get viable serial comms.

You need to make a better job of connecting that ground so it won't short out everywhere.  Make a nice tinned wire and solder it to the frame pin of the switch and then take that back to the braid of your UART cable(assuming the braid is the ground wire).

Can't help with UART cable selection - I used a Raspberry PI, which worked great.

You only need to make the connection between boot pin and GND during power on, after that it can be disconnected.  So you are better off soldering a GND and the boot pin either to a jumper header you can short out momentarily, or to a momentary switch.  Don't leave it hard-wired to ground - I've a feeling that is killing some people's boards.